Scripting media ejects in Jaguar

I have an Iomega Zip250 USB connected through an old (prob’ly first-to-market) Belkin 4port hub and I would like to write a script for KeyXing that enables ejection of any mounted Zips via a hotkey combination.

I am a longtime Mac user and oftime AppleScripter. I am a big fan of KeyQuencer, mainly because on older (read: SCSI-native) Macs this kind of thing was relatively easy. In fact, ejecting disks via a hotkey is what drew me to KeyQuencer rather than QuicKeys, and now I see KeyXing has the potential – but no “internal” command syntax – for ejecting disks, etc.

Any help you folks could offer would be much appreciated. Even a short test-able script to use outside KX first may be in order.

Thanks in advance

Steve W.

If you look at Finder’s dictionary, you’ll see several properties for class “disk” and command “eject”. A sample:

tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose capacity < 250 * (1024 ^ 2))

This will eject disks whose capacity is less than 250MB. Perhaps the cool way would be “whose ejectable is true” (if you wish eject every removable disk) or other way (look at properties)… But since Finder scripting is a little broken (at least here, OS 10.2.3), I’d suggest the “capacity” way.
As example, “every disk whose ejectable is true” will include the startup disk, which is absolutely un-ejectable, so an “eject” event will throw error…