Thursday, November 23, 2017

#26 2012-07-26 11:08:37 am

WoodenBrain
Website

Re: Applescript Studio Projects

FYI, I did join the Mac dev program some months ago, and was able to code sign AS Studio apps and build them with Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion.  So the apps run on ML with gatekeeper.

I did have access to the ML dev previews, but had not had the time to see whether Xcode 3.2.6 would continue to run on ML.  Today I did those initial tests on the release version of ML.  Unfortunately what I found was that while Xcode would launch and seemed to have no problem building existing apps, Interface Builder 3 hangs on launch.

I would very much like to get it to work with ML (otherwise I'm effectively stuck on Lion forever until I can migrate all my AS Studio projects!).

I've posted about this and included a portion of the IB crash log in Apple discussions.  Any insights here or there greatly appreciated.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19034956

Wooden Brain Concepts
http://www.woodenbrain.com

#27 2012-07-28 01:26:29 am

Shane Stanley

A separate disk or partition is probably the only option.

But I'm struck by the contrast: you don't want to be stuck in Lion, even though it was current until this week, yet you seem to want to stick to ASStudio, which was deprecated three years ago. Something's going to have to give, it seems to me...

Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au>
www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/apps/

#28 2012-07-28 01:44:40 pm

WoodenBrain
Website

Shane, thanks for your response. You are certainly right that "probably" a separate partition will be our (I'm not alone) only option. But probably is not definitely and clearly we wouldn't be looking for a work-around if it seemed impossible.  As it happens, we've made some progress getting IB to launch on ML.  Currently the issue seems to be a lack of connections to objects.

I dont' see why you think it's such a contrast. There's absolutely no irony here.  I have multiple, highly complex projects written in AS Studio, which can be built and run just fine on Lion and when so built, also work as designed on ML and code signed, too. Other than maybe some interface bells and whistles, they perform their jobs as designed and users continue to find them just as helpful on ML as they did on Panther or Tiger.  And I have been able to continue to support 10.4-10.8 and intel/PPC for most projects, to boot!  Meanwhile, ML clearly offers advantages and features as an OS.  Given that development work is not my full-time occupation, and working in XCode comprises only some portion of my time, why should I need to sacrifice the benefits of the current OS on the Mac that I work on daily?

Last edited by WoodenBrain (2012-07-28 01:45:21 pm)

Wooden Brain Concepts
http://www.woodenbrain.com

#29 2012-07-28 10:14:02 pm

Shane Stanley

Given that development work is not my full-time occupation, and working in XCode comprises only some portion of my time, why should I need to sacrifice the benefits of the current OS on the Mac that I work on daily?

Well you don't, at least while you're not doing Xcode stuff, if you have a separate partition or disk. And if the projects are all working fine, and "they perform their jobs as designed and users continue to find them just as helpful on ML as they did on Panther or Tiger", then I don't quite see why you need to spend much time on them in Xcode anyway, so it would seem a minor compromise.

I can understand your frustration, but really, you're playing Russian roulette. That's OK if you like that sort of thing, but it's a bit more complex when others are depending on your stuff too.

Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au>
www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/apps/

Board footer