Paste In Specific Layer

I am trying to make a new placed item in a specific layer of my Illustrator Document. I am not having much luck, and have tried a few things.

I’ve tried to set the current layer:

set current layer to layer "Layer1"

This didn’t work

I’ve tried to set the layer in the place command

make new placed item in theDocument in layer "Layer1" with properties {file path:"<my file>"}

These aren’t working, but it seems like one of them should. Am I missing something?

Hi. The second one is close.

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"'s document 1 to make placed item at layer "Layer1" with properties {file path:insertHFSPathHere}

Thank you Marc for your time. I’ve tried your suggestion, and it is still placing the file in the first layer of the file.

to be clear I have the following, paraphrased

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
set myVar to ....
 tell application "Adobe Illustrator"'s document 1 to make placed item at layer "Layer1" with properties{file path: myVar}
end tell

I’d advise against double-referencing and mixing the single line and block formats. “Layer 1” should be the default name for the first (bottom) layer, and the index layer 1 should be the topmost layer.

set myVar to (choose file) as text
tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
tell document 1
	make placed item at layer 1 with properties {file path:myVar} --topmost (currently)
	make placed item at (make layer) with properties {file path:myVar} --a newly created, sequential layer
end
end