do shell script passwords explaination

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what all the passwords are for. I’ve read the developer docs several time trying to find info on this, but they don’t explain in depth.

When you do something like:

do shell script “sudo someCommand” password "somePassword with administrator privileges

I’m thinking that the password is for the shell, but what is administrator privileges for. If I leave that out it says something like “the script doesn’t have a pass phrase”. What is that? I’ll try to run it again and get the exact message. But if you know what I’m writing can you explain?

Thanks,
kel

Here’s the error when leaving out the admin privileges:
sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

Hi,

first of all, DO NOT use sudo in conjunction with administrator privileges

administrator privileges is the same as sudo, using both causes unexpected behavior.
administrator privileges expects credentials of an admin account

Hi Stefan,

Ah, that’s what I’ve been doing wrong. So, once you enter the admin password, it will last until you login again. But, you always need the password right? So that you don’t get another password dialog from the shell.

Thanks,
kel

As far as I know the password session expires after 5 minutes.
You need the password for all commands that require admin or root privileges

That’s what I thought about the 5 minutes. But, when I ran the script again just a little while ago there wasn’t any password dialog and I last entered it last night. I’ll check it out.

Thanks a lot,
kel

Hi Stefan,

I’ve been testing it and actually, I think it’s more accurate with the sudo. I’ll try to test it with more accuracy and write back.

I wonder if it’s supposed to be 5 minutes after the application quits. Because I ran this and didn’t need to enter password in a dialog:

set cur_date to current date
set target_date to (cur_date + 1 * minutes) as «class isot» as string
do shell script "date -jf '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S' '" & target_date & "' '+%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'"
set format_date to result
do shell script "pmset displaysleepnow; pmset schedule wake \"" & format_date & "\"" password "myPass" with administrator privileges

I ran it from Script Editor and it awoke in about a minute.

Although, the not needing sudo works! Now I know how it works for the most part. :smiley:

Thanks a lot,
kel

You know what I’ve found, you don’t need the password after the initial run! I’ve got to run that again because I’m running it with a dummy password.

It still works with the dummy password!!! What the heck is going on. The password is not needed maybe after the initial run?

At 45 seconds the screen came back on with the dummy password. I am not understanding this:

do shell script "date -jf '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S' '" & target_date & "' '+%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'"
do shell script "pmset displaysleepnow; pmset schedule wake \"" & format_date & "\"" password "myPass" with administrator privileges

The most common misconception about do shell script command is that it is in not the same as a terminal. Without being to vague the difference is that the Terminal opens a interactive shell, the do shell script command uses a non-interactive shell. But a script that is run by the Terminal, inside that script, there is an non-interactive shell. So the do shell script’s shell code will run as it was inside a normal running script file. So the first mistake is made when you think you can use sudo the same way as you do in the Terminal.

Knowing that a do shell script runs in the same context as a normal script file does, we have to follow the guidelines for shell scripting. Inside a shell script you shouldn’t use sudo either. You run the script as root or not, as a scripter you’re not individually telling each command to run as root or not. For that same reason Apple says it’s bad practice to use sudo inside do shell scripts. When a shell script needs to run as root you often see this kind of code:

#!/bin/bash if [ $UID != 0 ] then echo 'Script needs to be run as root.' >&2 exit 2 fi
Of course, you won’t need that in AppleScript because the user prompt for password is enough. But this code shows that just like sudo, your code will actually run as root.

Hi Dj,

I’ll have to reread your post when I get up, but what you’re saying I think is that once you enter the admin password, the script has root privileges. Also, As Stefan has wrote is that it last for 5 minutes. Think I see that the tty thing is because the do shell script is non-interactive. That’s why I got the error message. I’ve never seen that part about the documents saying to never use sudo (or don’t remember), but I’ll read this again probably many times. That’s what I wanted to know I think.

Thanks a lot,
kel

ps.I just hit my head oweeee on something. Can’t think too good for the moment. Starting to get a lump there. :slight_smile: Will read it again tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,
kel

There is a Tech Note Technical Note TN2065: do shell script in AppleScript, it’s quite old but still valid

Correct.

I was giving some background information why you shouldn’t try to solve it. You could pipe the password to sudo with the option -S to solve your problem but that is bad practice and hope it explains why.

Correct, by default. With visudo you can change the timeout.

Correct. Sudo will try to get the password stored in the terminal (read:stored in tty, not Terminal.app). This hasn’t been the default in earlier Mac OS X system but it requires less password typing.

There is or at least was a “sudoers” file, that can govern who, and for how long the sudo command should last. If memory serves me right. man sudo has the correct information, if it is the correct man file. :wink:

There still is but when you edit with visudo the system will be informed about the changes to the file. Also visudo is safe because it will do a syntax check and locks the file when it writes to it. When used by another text editor all of this won’t happen.

Hi,

I’ve been looking into sudoer and visudo man pages. New and interesting stuff.

Anyway, I’ve been running this as application to test and haven’t needed to enter password after initial run:

property pw : missing value
property first_run : true

if first_run then
	display dialog "Enter password:" default answer ""
	set pw to text returned of result
	set first_run to false
end if
do shell script "pmset schedule wake \"" & format_date & "\"" password pw with administrator privileges
do shell script "pmset displaysleepnow"

I’ll be test running it to find when the passphrase again will be needed.

Note to others: hiding the password like this is not secure. It’s ok for me.

Edited: also, It still worked without password after cold startup.

Thanks a lot,
kel

When a variable needs to be set for the first time you could also use:

property pw : missing value

if not exists pw then --or if pw = missing value then
   set pw to text returned of (display dialog "Enter password:" default answer "")
end

This eliminates the extra variable. Exists command will return false for missing value, and true for every other value.

Just for the record: That is because properties, like the alias class, are persistent as long as you don’t recompile the script. Globals are persistent as well but only between initializations.

Hi Dj,

That is much better! :slight_smile: I remember seeing that. It’s an old habit that I used to write it like that.

About storing the password as property, I know about the persistence. What I meant was that, I’m wondering when the system will ask for the password again, if ever (i.e. there is no 5 minute limit as I thought there would be). That’s good.

Thanks a lot,
kel