InDesign CC 2014 How do I make an angled strike thru ??

Hi Everyone

I ran into a problem for which I have not been able to come up with any solution. Also can’t find anything online.

I need to place a price in a text frame and then style it with a strike thru that is angled from beginning bottom to end top of that text. [I know, I know, everyone else is happy with a straight strike thru]

I have tried using a line object for it just can’t get that to work either. I could not figure out how to anchor it to the text so that if it was moved that it all stay together. Has any one else run into this problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Oakley

Model: 10.9.5 OSX on new iMac
AppleScript: Script DeBugger 5.0.9
Browser: Safari 537.85.10
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

no need to use anchored objects. Any graphical objects (lines, rectangles, ovals, etc, etc. ) can be copy and pasted as a “character” inside a text flow, in between other characters (or at beginning/end).

Explained quickly, using Applescript, what I would do is create a new line in diagonal inside a variable, style it, then cut it and put the text cursor where I need it and then paste it.

Might take a while to figure out how to do it, but it’s possible. I’ve done way, way more complex than this in the past.

Good luck!

Browser: Safari 534.51.22
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

Hi. When you paste any page item into text, it either becomes an anchored or inline object, and you’ll likely have to play with the anchored object settings to get it to flow and align properly; this requires a lot of time and eyeballing. It would be easier to insert a small text frame within the original, nest a single-celled table with the target text in that, and then enable the table’s diagonal line property with the desired angle.

Thank you both for the input. You have given me several things to consider and test. Not sure how to do it yet but will continue trying.
Oakley

I already sent a PM (because I coudn’t post yet). But now I can, so I’ll put my solution here as well:

I think what you’re looking for does not have to be solved by an Applescript. At least I’ve used another way to solve the same problem.

I use a character style on a forward slash “/” that is in front of a price. That character style gets applied automatically with a GREP style. You can define a GREP style in a Paragraph Style.

I’ve uploaded a sample InDesign document in my dropbox, have a look at it and see if it solves your problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m56x0fpgxdcckj2/price%20slash%20example.idml?dl=0

In the document just type a “/” followed by a “$” and then the price.
You’ll have to make different Character Styles for different sorts of prices (hundreds, thousands, etc). But once they are al made and you’ve set the GREP styles accordingly it will happen automatically.