sqllite3 - Absolute .db path & Working with Delimiters

Hi All,

I am fairly new to AppleScript but learning quite quickly and enjoy doing so! I have used MacScripter for a while by searching for other people with similar issues - Im having some trouble with my script and havent found any ‘similar’ scenarios online.

What is the script:
Ultimalty I am building a GUI using Pashua which is linking to 2 sqlite3 databases (1 local and 1 networked one)
The database is to store customer information that can be queried and overwritten by using the GUI - It will then link to something else in the future.

Issue 1:
Im struggling to link my databases to other areas other than the desktop.
I want to store ‘local.db’ in the same folder as the script and the ‘customers.db’ on a network drive

--this is set to run to my desktop which works
set headlocal to "sqlite3 -column ~/desktop/local.db " & quote

--I have tried something like this to give the db location an absolute path with no success
set thisFolder to (container of (path to me)) as string
set headlocal to "sqlite3 -column " & POSIX path of thisFolder & "/local.db " & quote

Issue 2:
This part of the code asks for a customer code then if it finds it in the db it sets the variables and sets the default text fields to allow editing. This area works as intended but when it sets the variables it breaks the string if there is a @ symbol in the strong for example.

repeat while customerCode = ""
     set customerCode to text returned of (display dialog "ENTER CUSTOMER CODE" default answer "" with title "Testing" with icon caution)
     set customerCode to do shell script "echo " & customerCode & " | tr [:lower:] [:upper:]"
end repeat

set pullData to "select customername, customersite, contactemail, ftpemail, ftppassword from printers where customercode = '" & customerCode & "'; "
set {customerName, customerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to words of (do shell script head & pullData & quote)

-- Lets say I enter this info in: customer1, London, customer1@email.com, customer1@ftp.com, Password 1
-- The Results would be: customer1, London, customer1, email, com
-- It is only showing me the words (which I know its what ive specified:

to words of

-- Ive tried other classes such as paragraph, string etc
-- Words gives me most of the wording

Any help would be great
Thanks in advance

To get the container of an item, you must ask to Finder or System Events.

set myPath to path to me
tell application "System Events"
	set thisFolder to (get path of container of myPath) as text
end tell

An alternate scheme is to use delimiters.

set myPath to path to me as text

set pathAsLIst to my decoupe(myPath, ":")
set theFolder to my recolle(items 1 thru -2 of pathAsLIst, ":")

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set {oTIDs, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, d}
	set l to text items of t
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oTIDs
	return l
end decoupe

#=====

on recolle(l, d)
	local oTIDs, t
	set {oTIDs, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, d}
	set t to l as text
	return t
end recolle

#=====

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 8 décembre 2016 12:42:47

Hi Yvan,

Many thanks for the fast response.
Apologies, I removed some of the code to save a wall of text

I do have a tell which uses finder to get the path:

tell application "Finder"
end tell

I think the issue is that because im using shell script to access the db it doesnt like the mac path.
Hence why I tried using a POSIX path instead with no luck:

Code im trying to get to work:

tell application "Finder"
end tell

set headlocal to "sqlite3 -column " & POSIX path of thisFolder & "/local.db " & quote

set pullData to "select customername, customersite, contactemail, ftpemail, ftppassword from printers where customercode = '" & customerCode & "'; "
set {customerName, customerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to words of (do shell script head & pullData & quote)

I know roughly how to achieve the results but I think im missing something with this path formatting.
Thanks

With the complementary infos I assume that there is one (or several) space character in your user name

Try to edit the shell instruction as :

set headlocal to "sqlite3 -column " & quoted form of POSIX path of thisFolder & "/local.db " & quote

You will get something like :

[format]“sqlite3 -column ‘/Users/my user name/Desktop/’/local.db "”[/format]

I found an other oddity.

You define the variable headlocal but you never use it. You use the variable head which is not defined so I assume that it would be better to replace it by headlocal.

For the second part of your original question,the instruction :

do exactly what you ask it to do. You just miss that @ is a word delimiter.

set theAnswer to "customer1, London, customer1@email.com, customer1@ftp.com, Password 1"

words of theAnswer
--> {"customer1", "London", "customer1", "email.com", "customer1", "ftp.com", "Password", "1"}

my decoupe(theAnswer, ",")
--> {"customer1", " London", " customer1@email.com", " customer1@ftp.com", " Password 1"}

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set l to text items of t
	return l
end decoupe

#=====

You must edit your code as :

set theAnswer to (do shell script head & pullData & quote)
set {customerName, customerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to my decoupe(theAnswer, ",")
--> {"customer1", " London", " customer1@email.com", " customer1@ftp.com", " Password 1"

# here continue your script

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set l to text items of t
	return l
end decoupe

#=====

CAUTION, put the handler decoupe at the very end of your script, don’t leave it between instructions of the main script.

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 8 décembre 2016 13:39:17

set headlocal to "sqlite3 -column " & quoted form of POSIX path of thisFolder & "/local.db " & quote

That did it! Thank you Yvan!
I did play around with POSIX and quoted form of but I must have not quite had it formatted correctly.
Really well done thank you :slight_smile:

Just the Issue 2 to solve now :slight_smile:
I simply want to set multiple variables from a sql query.
Issue im having is whenever characters such as ‘@’ ‘.’ etc are invloved it splits those out into seperate words.
I just need to find out what other classes are available to use other than ‘words’ that gives me everything within the quotes.

Thanks again

I gave the answer to the 2nd question in my late message.
It seems that your eyes weren’t fully open :wink:

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 8 décembre 2016 15:58:06

My apologies, so you did!
I must have missed that email.

The script appears to be working as intended however it does fall over later as the variables are not pulled in like your script is indicated:

Please see below:

set pullData to "select printername, printersite, contactemail, ftpemail, ftppassword from printers where printercode = '" & printerCode & "'; "
set theAnswer to (do shell script head & pullData & quote) as string
display dialog theAnswer
--> theAnswer gives me this result - Including the spaces etc:
--> customer1    London       customer1@email.com  customer1@ftp.com  Password1
--> MacScripter appears to ignore the extra spaces inbetween the words - see below:
-- customer1  *4spaces*  London *7spaces*       customer1@email.com  *2spaces* customer1@ftp.com  *2spaces* Password   
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to my decoupe(theAnswer, ",")

Its almost there! :smiley:
Thanks again for helping me

I have found the issue! :slight_smile:
The issue was in the head variable not the code.
As I had -column set in the head it wasnt pulling in correctly.
I removed that and the string was exported correctly but with “|” separating them.
I simply change the delimiter character in the code you provided.

Im all sorted now
Thanks again! :smiley:

I apologizes but I’m unable to guess that you post wrong infos.
In your original message I saw :

[format]-- Lets say I enter this info in: customer1, London, customer1@email.com, customer1@ftp.com, Password 1[/format]

So I used the comma as separator (in fact using ", " would have been better).

As items are separated by groups of spaces a complementary task is required.

set twoSpaces to space & space
repeat # replace every couple of space characters by a single one as long as there are such couples
	if theAnswer contains twoSpaces then
		set theAnswer to my remplace(theAnswer, twoSpaces, space)
	else
		exit repeat
	end if
end repeat
# Here theAnswer is : "customer1 London customer1@email.com customer1@ftp.com Password"
# So we may use a single space as separator
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to my decoupe(theAnswer, space)
--> {"customer1", " London", " customer1@email.com", " customer1@ftp.com", " Password 1"

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set l to text items of t
	return l
end decoupe

#=====
(*
replaces every occurences of d1 by d2 in the text t
*)
on remplace(t, d1, d2)
	local oTIDs, l
	set {oTIDs, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, d1}
	set l to text items of t
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to d2
	set t to l as text
	return t
end remplace

#=====

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 8 décembre 2016 17:44:34

Here the script use an alternate scheme to extract the useful values.

--> "customer1        London.     customer1@email.com        customer1@ftp.com       Password"
# splitting theAnswer by space character will generate several emty strings
set longList to my decoupe(theAnswer, space)
--> {"customer1", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "London.", "", "", "", "", "customer1@email.com", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "customer1@ftp.com", "", "", "", "", "", "", "Password"}
set shortList to {}
# Now, drop these empty strings
repeat with txt in longList
	set txt to txt as text
	if txt ≠ "" then set end of shortList to txt
end repeat
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to shortList
--> {"customer1", "London.", "customer1@email.com", "customer1@ftp.com", "Password"}

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set l to text items of t
	return l
end decoupe

#=====

Maybe someone will give an other scheme using Grep/Regex. My old brain fails to understand these tools.

Yvan KOENIG Running Sierra 10.12.1 In French (VALLAURIS. France) vendredi 9 décembre 2016 10:35:15

Assuming the first line works (I’m not familiar with sqlite scripting and can’t see what the ‘quote’ is for), you could possibly use this:

set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script head & pullData & quote & " | sed -E 's/[[:space:]]+/\\'$'\\n''/g'")

Thanks Nigel.

I tested it with :

set theAnswer to "customer1        London.     customer1@email.com        customer1@ftp.com       Password"
-- "customer1--------London.-----customer1@email.com--------customer1@ftp.com-------Password" In the true string - must be replaced by a space character
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script "sed -E 's/[[:space:]]+/\\'$'\\n''/g' <<<" & quoted form of theAnswer)

I’m wondering how the command must be changed so that it splits the string with the dashes.

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 9 décembre 2016 14:52:32

Hi Yvan.

If you mean replace the sequences of dashes with linefeeds, it would be:

set theAnswer to "customer1--------London.-----customer1@email.com--------customer1@ftp.com-------Password"
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script "sed -E 's/-+/\\'$'\\n''/g' <<<" & quoted form of theAnswer)

But it would also replace hyphens in words, which may not be desired. This next version only replaces runs of two or more dashes:

set theAnswer to "customer1--------London.-----customer1@email.com--------customer1@ftp.com-------Pass-word"
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script "sed -E 's/--+/\\'$'\\n''/g' <<<" & quoted form of theAnswer)

To replace a run of anything between the words which isn’t an alphanumeric character, a dot, an “@”, or a hyphen between such characters:

set theAnswer to "customer1  London.,-----customer1@email.com,customer1@ftp.com#!?[]^(){}Pass-word"
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script "sed -E 's/([^[:alnum:].@-][^[:alnum:].@]*|-[^[:alnum:].@]+)/\\'$'\\n''/g' <<<" & quoted form of theAnswer)

Thanks Nigel

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 9 décembre 2016 18:46:13

As I am curious, I decided to test the efficiency of three scripts.

I built a script treating the same string 1000 times.

The results are interesting.
Here is the complete script applying the first scheme which I posted.

use AppleScript version "2.4"
use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"
set theString to "customer1        London.     customer1@email.com        customer1@ftp.com       Password"
set startDate to current application's NSDate's |date|()
repeat 1000 times
	copy theString to theAnswer
	--> "customer1        London.     customer1@email.com        customer1@ftp.com       Password"
	repeat # replace every couple of space characters by a single one as long as there are such couples
		if theAnswer contains twoSpaces then
			set theAnswer to my remplace(theAnswer, twoSpaces, space)
		else
			exit repeat
		end if
	end repeat
	# Here theAnswer is : "customer1 London customer1@email.com customer1@ftp.com Password"
	# So we may use a single space as separator
	set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to my decoupe(theAnswer, space)
end repeat
set timeDiff to startDate's timeIntervalSinceNow()
display dialog "That took " & (-timeDiff as real) & " seconds."
--> "That took 0,08715903759 seconds."

#=====

on decoupe(t, d)
	local oTIDs, l
	set l to text items of t
	return l
end decoupe

#=====
(*
replaces every occurences of d1 by d2 in the text t
*)
on remplace(t, d1, d2)
	local oTIDs, l
	set {oTIDs, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, d1}
	set l to text items of t
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to d2
	set t to l as text
	return t
end remplace

Then I replaced the main loop by :

repeat 1000 times

# splitting theAnswer by space character will generate several emty strings
	set longList to my decoupe(theAnswer, space)
	--> {"customer1", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "London.", "", "", "", "", "customer1@email.com", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "customer1@ftp.com", "", "", "", "", "", "", "Password"}
	set shortList to {}
	# Now, drop these empty strings
	repeat with txt in longList
		set txt to txt as text
		if txt ≠ "" then set end of shortList to txt
	end repeat
	set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to shortList
	--> {"customer1", "London.", "customer1@email.com", "customer1@ftp.com", "Password"}
end repeat

This time, that took 0,096091032028 seconds.

Last not least I tested the sed version with this main loop:

repeat 1000 times

set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script "sed -E 's/[[:space:]]+/\\'$'\\n''/g' <<<" & quoted form of theAnswer)
end repeat

It took 20,967127978802 seconds.

Honestly, I didn’t imagined that the fact to trigger a shell script would add such extra duration.
It’s not really reflecting the true efficiency because in real life, the sed scheme would me used in a single call to shell script, the one posted by Nigel:

set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (do shell script head & pullData & quote & " | sed -E 's/[[:space:]]+/\\'$'\\n''/g'")

Alas, I am unable to test the complete task which build the string and split it.

Maybe the asker will be interested by the comparison and will test the three schemes.
I would be interested by the results.

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 9 décembre 2016 20:56:16

It’s a time-consuming process.

You can also use Nigel’s regular expressions (with slight modifications) under AppleScriptObjC:

set theAnswer to current application's NSString's stringWithString:theString
	set newString to theAnswer's stringByReplacingOccurrencesOfString:"([^[:alnum:].@-][^[:alnum:].@]*|-[^[:alnum:]\\.@]+)" withString:linefeed options:(current application's NSRegularExpressionSearch) range:{0, theAnswer's |length|()}
	set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to (newString's componentsSeparatedByString:linefeed) as list

That’s still going to be slower than your example, though only be a factor of about 3, rather than 100+.

This version’s a bit faster:

set theAnswer to current application's NSMutableString's stringWithString:theString
theAnswer's replaceOccurrencesOfString:"[^[:alnum:].@-][^[:alnum:].@]*+|-[^[:alnum:].@]++" withString:linefeed options:(current application's NSRegularExpressionSearch) range:{0, (count theString)}
set {printerName, printerSite, contactEmail, ftpEmail, ftpPassword} to paragraphs of (theAnswer as text)

But I think it’s safer to stick with theAnswer’s |length|() rather than (count theString) if there’s a possibility of certain Unicode combinations in string.

Thanks Shane.

Your code does the job as well if the values are separated by groups of spaces, by groups of hyphens or even by mixed groups of spaces, hyphens, underscores.

I tried to decipher it.
My understanding is that the strings to be replaced are:

strings starting with (a character which is not alphanumeric, dot, arobase or hyphen) plus 0 or several characters which aren’t alphanumeric, dot or arobase (this time the hyphen is not rejected)
OR strings starting with an hyphen, continuing with zero or several characters which aren’t alphanumeric, dot or arobase (this time the hyphen is not rejected)

I don’t understand what is the difference between the repetition star and the repetition plus.
I tried to use the plus twice, the star twice, the plus first and the star as 2nd one with no change in the final result.

I discovered Nigel message after submitting my message.
I’m now more puzzled by it’s use of plus and double plus.

I tested it with :
set theString to “customâ¼’â¼”er1- - __-- = ----London.-----customer1@email.com--------customer1@ftp.com-------Password”

The couple of Kangxi radicals was treated as a separator

Replacing (count theString) by theAnswer’s |length|() changed nothing.

Yvan KOENIG running Sierra 10.12.1 in French (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 10 décembre 2016 12:03:34

Suppose you have several strings:

abc abbc abbbc acd

If you search for ab*, you will get a match in them all: ab, abb, abbb and a. The match for b is essentially optional.

If you search for ab+, you will only get matches in the first three: ab, abb and abbb. This time there must be at least one b.

But it would if you had a Unicode character that cannot be represented as a single 16-bit value.

Hi Yvan.

Almost. It’s:

sequences starting with (a character which is not alphanumeric, dot, arobase or hyphen) plus 0 or several characters which aren’t alphanumeric, dot or arobase (including hyphens)
OR sequences starting with a hyphen, continuing with one or several characters which aren’t alphanumeric, dot or arobase (including hyphens)

That is:
any run of one or more unwanted characters where the first isn’t a hyphen
OR any run of two or more unwanted characters where the first is a hyphen
So a single hyphen which isn’t part of a run of unwanted characters isn’t matched.

An asterisk means zero or more instances. A plus means one or more instances. In the version of regex supported by ObjC (but not in the version(s) used by sed), it’s possible to optimise the asterisk and plus actions (where appropriate) by putting another plus after these symbols. It basically tells the regex engine to throw away the run after matching it instead of storing it for possible re-interpretation later in the regex. In fact there’s no “later” in the regex here, so the difference (if any) will be negligible.