Referencing a variable that I've built from variables and strings

Hey gang, it’s been a while since I got stumped but I’m trying some new practices here so am reaching out. Thanks in advance.

As the title suggests, I’m trying to reference a variable that I’ve built from data & strings.

Can anyone give me the magic key that will make the following script work because I feel like it should be able to be done?

property theSupplier : "Coles Supermarket"

set theSupplierList to {"Coles Supermarket", "Delica"}

set Def_ColesSupermarket to {thePaymentType:"BoM Mastercard", theAccount:"COS - Food", RecordID:"33"}
set Def_Delica to {thePaymentType:"Cash Drawer", theAccount:"COS - Food", RecordID:"493"}

set theSupplier to choose from list theSupplierList with title "Choose Supplier" default items {theSupplier}
set theSupplier to theSupplier as Unicode text

set z to ""
repeat with x in (characters of theSupplier)
	set j to x as Unicode text
	if j is not " " then
		set z to z & x
	end if
end repeat
set supplierDefault to "Def_" & z

set RecordID to RecordID of supplierDefault

return RecordID

If I specify the varibale exactly as it’s show:

set RecordID to RecordID of Def_Delica

then it works but not in the first instance.

Any thoughts gang?

You haven’t built a variable – all you have built is a string.

Hi,

variable names are evaluated at compile time, it’s not possible to do that at runtime (apart from second level evaluation which is not recommended).
This is an easier solution using a list of records and an index number, you can even type in the number to select the list item

set theSupplierList to {"1 Coles Supermarket", "2 Delica"}

set supplierDataRecords to {{thePaymentType:"BoM Mastercard", theAccount:"COS - Food", RecordID:"33"}, ¬
	{thePaymentType:"Cash Drawer", theAccount:"COS - Food", RecordID:"493"}}

set theSupplier to choose from list theSupplierList with title "Choose Supplier" default items {theSupplier}
if theSupplier is false then return
set defIndex to word 1 of item 1 of theSupplier

set supplierDefault to item defIndex of supplierDataRecords
set RecordID to RecordID of supplierDefault
return RecordID

or if you don’t like the prefix index numbers, this is an alternative

property supplierDataRecords : {{name:"Coles Supermarket", thePaymentType:"BoM Mastercard", theAccount:"COS - Food", RecordID:"33"}, ¬
	{name:"Delica", thePaymentType:"Cash Drawer", theAccount:"COS - Food", RecordID:"493"}}

set theSupplierList to {}
repeat with aRecord in supplierDataRecords
	set end of theSupplierList to name of aRecord
end repeat
if theSupplier is not false then
	set theSupplier to item 1 of theSupplier
	repeat with i from 1 to count supplierDataRecords
		tell item i of supplierDataRecords
			if its name is theSupplier then return its RecordID
		end tell
	end repeat
end if
return missing value

Wow, wow, wow.

You guys are incredible. Thank you so much.

StefanK, you the man! That solution is perfect and I love it because I’ll be able to use it in other parts of the script and in other apps. I’m really glad I decided to try to improve my scripting for this job and do things better.

Oh, also, Shane. I can’t believe you were the first to reply. It’s incredible that after nearly 10 years, we would cross paths again. I learned the fundamentals of AS from your very great self when I was looking to improve workflows at PMP Digital. Good times. I’m still using my applescripting knowledge and don’t think I could have done a lot of what I’ve done without it. I’m actually very grateful that you took the time with me all those years ago. Thank you. Hope all’s well with you.

Cheers,

Jase

I was wondering about the Coles – hi again! Small world :wink:

This has been working a treat. Thanks again.

Is it possible to load the supplier data from a text file (thereby making source data easier to edit)?

I’m using the name method over the the numbering.

Here’s what I have so far:

tell application "Finder"

set HomeSpot to (path to desktop) as Unicode text

set x to HomeSpot & "aaaSuppliers.txt"

set FileContents to paragraphs of (read file x) as list

--return FileContents
	set CurrentTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "\""

set theSupplierList to {}
	repeat with aRecord in FileContents
		set end of theSupplierList to text item 2 of aRecord
	end repeat

set theSupplier to choose from list theSupplierList with title "Choose Supplier" --default items {theSupplier}

if theSupplier is not false then
		set theSupplier to item 1 of theSupplier
		repeat with i from 1 to count FileContents
			tell item i of FileContents
				if it's name is theSupplier then return its RecordID
			end tell
		end repeat
	end if

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to CurrentTID

end tell

And my text file looks like this:

{name:“Bunnings Warehouse”, thePaymentType:“ANZ Mastercard”, theAccount:“Improvements & Maintenance”, RecordID:“1”}
{name:“Coles Supermarket”, thePaymentType:“BoM Mastercard”, theAccount:“COS - Food”, RecordID:“33”}

Hi,

I think this has been covered before, but I think you can create a variable from a string. But, you can’t use the variable or something like that. Ive forgotten how it went, but I think it was with ‘run script’. In the end I think it wasn’t worth it and was better to write a better script.

gl,
kel

either you write a just text file to disk, then you can’t read it as list, because there is no AppleScript list information in the file, or you write the property supplierDataRecords as (AppleScript) list, then you can access the list of records. The text file contains tokens to indicate the list, record and key information

listrecopnamutxt"Coles SupermarketusrflistutxtthePaymentTypeutxtBoM MastercardutxttheAccountutxtCOS - FoodutxtRecordIDutxt33recopnamutxtDelicausrflistutxtthePaymentTypeutxtCash DrawerutxttheAccountutxtCOS - FoodutxtRecordIDutxt493

Hi Stefan,

Yeah, it’s coming back to me now. You create the variable from the string and place it in a list or was it a record. Anyway, you can create an undefined variable like this:

run script "MyUndefinedVariable"

:slight_smile:

Edited: think I’m on to something. But, maybe not. Darn, forgot what I was thinking about. Damn, almost had something. Thinking I’m beating a dead horse or however that expression goes. I must have gone through this a thousand times before.

Later,
kel

Yeah, I remember now I think.

The best way was to enter your strings that you want as variables into the list. Then you access those strings buy using ‘item 1’, ‘item 2’, etc… There was no direct solution to this.

Have a good day,
kel