QuickTime batch export to Flash (FLV) videos

I am very new to Applescript but have been on Macs for nearly 20 years. I need to automate opening a folder of QuickTime movies and exporting them all with the same export settings to Flash video (FLV) files.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance…

bluesky 8)

Hi,

I need the same tool to automate QT.
Did you have a answer sine the 3 september.

Keep me informed,

Best,

Mikymike

Just don’t ask, but I think this is the key:

tell application "QuickTime Player"
	export movie 1 as «class FLV1» using most recent settings to (choose file name)
end tell

I tried this

set afile to choose file
set dt to path to desktop as Unicode text
set outfile to dt & "test.flv"
	activate
	open afile
	export movie 1 as {class:"FLV1"} using most recent settings to outfile
end tell

but I get the error “can’t make “FLV1” into a type class”

any thougths
mm

I don’t know if it works, but I edited jj’s script to use the correct characters.

Edit: I replaced the two “question mark blocks”.

What did you change it too ?

Why don’t you know if it works ?

mm

nevermind i see duh!

You need to create a quicktime settings file. The settings file holds all your export settings. Here’s directions to make one.
a) Open a file in QuickTime
b) Choose “Export” from the “File” menu
c) Select the desired export kind from the “Export:” popup menu
d) Click the “Options…” button to specify your custom settings, then click OK
e) Note that the “Use:” popup menu now displays “Most Recent Settings”
f) Start the export by clicking on the “Save” button (if you don’t start an export the “Most Recent Settings” won’t stick)
g) Cancel the export if it is a long one
h) To double-check the export settings, select the “Export…” menu item again and check them
i) Without closing the open movie, run the following AppleScript and set the path to where you want the settings file saved

set exportSettingsPath to (path to desktop folder as Unicode text) & "ExportSettings"
	tell first document
		save export settings for QuickTime movie to file exportSettingsPath
	end tell
end tell

Then you can encode the file with this. Note that quicktime 7.2 broke some of the “save” options from within applescript, so I’m not sure if the “export” command still works.

set theMovie to choose file
set exportMovieName to "newMovie"
set exportMovieFolder to path to desktop folder as Unicode text
set exportSettingsPath to (path to desktop folder as Unicode text) & "ExportSettings"

open theMovie
	tell first document
		export to (exportMovieFolder & exportMovieName) as QuickTime movie using settings exportSettingsPath
	end tell
end tell

I think it’s just save self contained that’s broken.

regulus6633,

your solution only exports as QT movie not as FLV which is the format I need them in…

I’m not sure why the solution that jj gives doesn’t work either as it silently fails

mm

Yes, I understand. In this line… save export settings for QuickTime movie to file exportSettingsPath… you need to find the right wording and exchange that with the “as quicktime movie” part. I was really just trying to show you what how to go about the rest of the process. I wrote mostly to show you about the settings file and the code necessary to use it. I’m sorry but I can’t help you with the specific code for the FLV encoding.

I think it’s all of the “save” variations too. I tried 3 or 4 different variations using save, and none worked for me. I haven’t tried the “export” option though, as I’m usually not trying to re-encode something. Normally I’m just putting files that were in other container formats into a quicktime container so I can do other things like add chapter markers, text tracks, annotations etc.