Using set variable vs. global vs. property

To understand what is one object in memory - simply byte sequence. The variable is address to first byte of that sequence

Guys, this is great stuff, I’m going to chew this up tomorrow morning at my best.

I thought Swift had automatic memory management (garbage collection…?) I remember it from when it was released, along with advertised simplicity and the removal of some “annoyingness” of common programming languages. I would like to learn Swift but I was recommended to get into .NET better since it is open to more platforms. What would you recommend??? :smiley:

My longest AppleScript script is close to 2000 lines, I’m probably pushing the limits of it (or not optimizing my code enough LOL) but I find it simple and useful. I like how it integrates with other programs like the Finder, Adobe apps, Excel, etc., and even the use of shell scripts seals the gap of missing tools. I have few scripts that run on a schedule fetching info from the internet, moving files and folders around and saving me a bunch of time on daily tasks. I just counted 335 script files in my Script Editor folder LOL With that said, I think its time for me to learn how to build standalone apps :slight_smile:

The question raised by sergiorbp has been answered, but I thought I might add a quick note. In discussing this broad issue, the AppleScript Language Guide uses the term mutable, and, simply stated, mutable objects (such as a list) can share data but nonmutable objects (such as a text string) cannot. Thus, the language guide states:

“If multiple variables refer to a mutable object…, changes to the object are observable through any of the variables [emphasis mine].”

For the reason noted above, this is not directly possible, but it can be accomplished by making the text object into a mutable object:

set myVariable to {"AA"}
set aTemporalVariable to myVariable
set item 1 of aTemporalVariable to "XX"
item 1 of myVariable -->> retunrs "XX"