Automator and QuickKeys

Do we need to think of Automator as more of a macro program like QuickKeys
or is it closer to Applescript? (Well, I suppose Applescript can be considered a macro program as well.)

Is Automator to be considered a replacement for QuickKeys?

What is the learning curve for Automator (from a cold start)
compared with the learning curve for Applescript?

Thanks much in advance, for allowing me to firehose all these questions at ya.
Adonsa

Sorry I misspelled it, it’s Quickeys, one “k” No disrespect intended for the Quickeys developer.

Thanks,
Adonsa

Neither. Automator is like an ultra-basic Unix shell, providing the GUI equivalent of Unix commands and pipes.

Tiger users are still under NDAs so you’ll need to wait a few more days to find out.

Automator is certainly more like QuicKeys than AppleScript. In some ways it is easier and less powerful than QK. Like AS the power of Automator is more in what applications allow you to do with it.

The learning curve for Automator can be measured in seconds. It is so much easier to use than either AppleScript or QuicKeys that it will amaze you.

It’s not really like a Unix shell, except that it uses the metaphor of pipes. Think of it as a plug together line of grinders, if you like. Of course the real beauty of Automator is that it totally removes syntax and provides a much better interface for applications to declare their API than the ad-hoc dictionary system of AppleScript. Its final virtue is that you no longer have to rassle with the arcane type system of AS.

Tony

Yes, but one cannot micro manage task if necessary, as one can in Quickeys or Keyboard Maestro. For example, I want to change the look of a batch of folders, by cutting and pasting the little icon in the Get Info pane. However, there are no actions for this, and one cannot choose a key command, so I’m stymied. I’m open to suggestion if anyone has them. I know little of scripting, so writing my own actions is beyond me at present.

Deb