Can Automator check to see if an app is running?

I’m new to Automator, and would like to know if there is a way to check to see if a specific app is still running, and if not launch it.

I’m trying to keep my 3D rendering server/clients running (even if they crash or someone accidently quits the app). I’d like my Automator script to periodically check to make sure the app didn’t crash or quit so I don’t have to stay up all night “babysitting” the render :slight_smile:

It’s seems like a perfect task for Automator, but I can’t seem to find a action that fits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi There,

You can use iCal to schedule launching an automator app. Create a new event in iCal and have it repeat as often as needed. For the alarm choose your automator app. In your automator app put the following applescript.

tell application "System Events"
		if ((get name of the processes) does not contain "System Preferences") then
			tell application "System Preferences"
				activate
			end tell
		end if
	end tell

Just change “System Preferences” to the name of the app you want to launch. Repeat the script for each app you need to launch. It is also possible to do this to a remote machine if needed.

Good Luck,
MT

Hi Dave,

a better solution than an automator workflow is a single applescript with idle handler.
Change the properties to the values you need.
Then save the script as application with option stay open und run it.

property appList : {"iTunes", "iPhoto", "iCal"}
property interval : 10 * minutes

on idle
	tell application "System Events" to set processList to name of processes
	repeat with i in appList
		if i is not in processList then launch application i
	end repeat
	return interval
end idle

Hi Stefan,

Just thought I should point out,
Someone can accidentally quit the Automator app.

which is part of the problem