Camera Raw NEF files -> to -> TIF

I’m trying to create a droplet that will convert .NEF (raw) files from my Nikon camera to TIFs. I can do this by hand just fine via Preview. It opens the files and allows me to save as a 16bit TIS file. I can then open it in the old version of Photoshop that I have on this machine.

When I try to build an action in Automator, I can get it to make a copy of the file and there is one Preview action step called “Change Type of File”, but it does not seem to do anything and the file still can’t be opened in PS.

I have also tried Raw Conversion 1.1, but it also does not change the file format or even the name of the file.

Right now my droplet looks like this…

¢ Copy Finder Items (Desktop, Replace existing files)
¢ Change Type of Images (To Type: TIFF)

I’m new to Automator. Is there a last step that I can’t seem to find that saves the Change Image Type and then changes the file name? Or is this something I need to add some specific applescripting to? Anyone?

Model: G5 Tower
Browser: Firefox 1.5.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Mike60640,
The “Change Type of Images” Action shows it only supports image files of type BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg), JPEG 2000 (.jp2), PDF (single page .pdf), PICT (.pct or .pict), PNG (.png), or TIFF (.tif or .tiff).

I do not know on any Automator Action that can support .NEF, unless there is an Action that drives Photoshop, iPhoto, Aperture (or some similar program) to do the conversion. If you have the CS2 suite you could use the Bridge’s “Image Processor” to batch-convert to Tiff. I do not have iPhoto 6, but I think you can script it to do something similar as well.

jON bEEBE

thanks jON.

Well, maybe there is some scripting that i can learn to handle this if Automator actions can’t, because i can do this manually with Preview. I just don’t know AS that much.

needs to

• Open the image i give it in Preview.
  • Save As… TIF 16 bit format.
  • delete the original.
  • open new file in old v7 Photoshop.

Any one help get me started on some scripting here?
I know I might need to move this to Script Forum. :wink: