Automator Problems (Install Package)

Hey Automator Folks,

I just started learning the program last week and I have run into a few walls while making an install workflow/app. My workflow involves the installation of Firefox, ClamXav, Microsoft Office (all legal copies) and AIM for the roughly 200 Apple computers we will be selling in the fall. In addition to that, my workflow changes the background, and installs three plist files (Bookmarks, Dock, Clam preferences).

So as it turns out, my workflow performs the tasks it needs to, BUT when I try to burn it to a cd and run it on another Apple, the scripts never work because the locations are never the same.

Does anyone know how the make sure the .WFLOW will launch from a cd without a problem? Any help is much appreciated.

Model: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo (MBP)
AppleScript: 2.1.1
Browser: Safari 417.9.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Can you post or describe your workflow?

You might also consider replacing it with an AppleScript app or even an actual Installer package.

I agree with Bruce. Depending on what you need to do the best solution might be a package. I’ve had great luck with that method in the past while doing installations and preference settings for a 40 person office. Package Maker is available in XCode Developer Tools. But do post your specific needs here anyway to get more feedback from others.

The Install Package Should Accomplish the following:
A. Install Applications
1. AIM
2. Virex 7.7
3. Firefox
4. (optional) microsoft office (if it can’t be in the package, i can just use the offical disk)
B. Plists for:
1. Bookmarks in Firefox
2. Bookmarks in Safari
3. Virex preferences
4. “custom” dock
C. Background
1. Set standard background
D. .Jar File
1. I can run this file either at the end or the beginning of the package, it really depends on what is easier to do.

hope that helps!

Model: 1.2 GHz Power PC G4 iBook
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060214 Camino/1.0
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)