Error in TextEdit Combine Text Files script step

Hello All,

I have been getting to know Automator and I created a workflow to take a Filemaker Pro export file (Tab-Delimited) and merge it with a header file which was created by the

script step. This is all to get a final result that can be imported into InDesign with style sheet tags. Filemaker can only export soft carriage returns and this header string must have hard returns. The separate header file looks fine but when merging it with the data component to create the final tagged text file, the Automator action

adds two small characters at the beginning of the header string that do not exist in the source header file (at least they don’t visually appear). These leading characters (one looks like a reverse comma and the other is a carat ^) that are added break the tagging structure so the file cannot be used to import into InDesign with styles. When I manually copy and paste the header file into the top of the data file it works fine.

What could this script step be doing to modify the text and how can I get it to stop? Any suggestions? Please cc your reply to shirsch@hfmus.com

Thanks!

Steve

Model: G5 Mac
Browser: Firefox 1.5.0.4
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)