Sequential renaming problem

Hi,

When I do a sequential renaming batch I get a problem. The original files are named untitled.jpg, untitled1.jpg, untitled2.jpg, etc. So the first one is not numbered. Now, I want to rename them to a name like image_001.jpg, image_002.jpg, image_003.jpg, etc. The problem is that when I run the regular sequential renaming the renamed file order is different from the original (seems random).

Another way of explaining it:

Original Desired Actual Outcome

untitled.jpg image_001.jpg image_003.jpg
untitled1.jpg image_002.jpg image_001.jpg
untitled2.jpg image_003.jpg image_002.jpg

Unfortunately, the creation dates of the files cannot be used as they are not in the desired order either. So, is there a way to solve this?

Hi,

the easiest solution is to do “Start numbers at 0” instead of 1

Hi StefanK,

That doesnt address the problem. The issue is the randomness of the order of the renamed files, not the numbering. I need to keep the files in the same order as the original filenames, but the renaming reorders them. Let me try to clarify:

Desired renaming:
name1 >> newname1
name2 >> newname2
name3 >> newname3
name4 >> newname4
name5 >> newname5
name6 >> newname6
name7 >> newname7

Actual outcome:
name1 >> newname2
name2 >> newname3
name3 >> newname1
name4 >> newname6
name5 >> newname4
name6 >> newname7
name7 >> newname5

Hopefully this makes it more clear.

Just discovered something odd. The problem only occurs when the window with the files is in icon view. In list view the problem doesn’t occur. Bug?

I don’t think so. The kind of sorting in list view and (the kind of) arranging items in icon view are two separated parameter

But Automator’s order of renaming shouldn’t change depending on the view. In both views the order is by name, but the outcome of the renaming is different depending on the view. As said, the list view gives the correct renaming, icon view doesn’t. Despite the fact that their ordering is identical.

Then I suggest to solve the problem with an AppleScript renaming routine,
which provides more flexibility