Smile Dialog

I’m pretty new to scripting; I’m trying to figure out dialogs using Smile (I don’t think my script is complicated enough to warrent figuring out Applescript Studio at this point). I have created a dialog that is ok as far as I know, but I don’t know how to successfully call it. I have

DisplayDlog("", Path:"DL Get Text")
		--code using text input

I am trying to accomplish the same thing as

display dialog "Enter the text" default answer ""
		set theText to the text returned of result

The dialog “DL Get Text” has a text field with id 2; what command(s) do I use (in the calling script and/or in the script for the dialog) to get the data from the dialog into the calling script?

Thanks for any help.

Hmmm… I can’t figure out what’r you doing, but to retrieve the contents of a text field, you can use:

set x to contained data of dialog item "text field" of dialog "DL Get Text"

Thanks for the response. I just figured out one problem: I have to name the dialog the same in the dialog script as in the calling script: “DL Get Text” in my example (this is the basic level I’m working at). Now my problem is after the dialog is called the subsequent lines of code in the calling script are executed without waiting for the dialog to be responded to and dismissed; i.e. the dialog is displayed then the rest of the script is executed. This is the dialog script:

property theText : "enter the text here"

on prepare theDialog
	set name of theDialog to "DL Get Text"
	--dialog item 2 is a text box
	set contents of dialog item 2 of theDialog to theText 
end prepare

on click in theDialog item number i
	-- item 4 is the OK button
	if i is 4 then
		set theText to contents of dialog item 2 of theDialog
		delete theDialog
	end if
end click in

when the dialog is called from the calling script with

DisplayDlog("", Path:"DL Get Text")
set inputText to contained data of dialog item 2 of dialog "DL Get Text"

inputText is immediatly set to “enter the text here” and the script continues executing while the dialog is being displayed. How do I tell the calling script to wait until the dialog is dismissed before continuing with execution? And/or do I need to add something to the code of the dialog?

:shock:

After some minutes (much minutes):
caller script:

set f to alias "HD:Users:me:Desktop:compiled dialog"
set w to make new basic object with properties {path name:f}

repeat
	smilepause 0.1
	set contents_of_text_field to x of script of w
	if contents_of_text_field is not false then
		delete w
		exit repeat
	end if
end repeat
contents_of_text_field --> latest value of text field when user pressed "ok" or "submit" or whatever button with the attached script

Dialog “compiled dialog”: item 1, button “OK”; item 2, text field; attached script:

property x : false

on click in theDialog item number i
	if i = 1 then set x to contained data of theDialog's item 2
end click in

Bunch of sweltering :twisted:

Good stuff: many thanks. I didn’t imagine it would be that difficult to create a simple ‘constrained’ dialog–makes me wonder if I shouldn’t be using Applescript Studio after all. . .

In this particular situation, supossing you’re going only to retrieve data only from a text field, I’d use standard additions’ “display dialog”

set input_text to text returned of (display dialog "something" default answer "some text")

But I like so much Smile’s environment and, if Satimage people continues this wild development with GUI stuff, it will be much more powerful than Studio! :rolleyes: