AppleScript Dictionaries (fast access tip)

If you have tried opening any of Mac OS X’s Scripting Dictionaries from the Menu in the Script Editor, you are then painfully aware of the amount of time it takes to do so. Phillipe Gruchet offered an example which opens the Standard Additions Osax dictionary in a record amount of time. I believe his original code was…

open location "file://localhost/System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/StandardAdditions.osax"

That worked so well for me that I decided to take it a few steps further. I created AppleScripts for all of my frequently accessed AppleScript Dictionaries and stored them in my ScriptMenu for easy access. I decided to use a slightly different method of opening the dictionaries I access. Since I’m normally in the Script Editor when I need to access a scripting dictionary, I decided to use this method…

tell application "Script Editor" to open alias ":System:Library:CoreServices:Finder.app:"

The script below works in most cases, but the above method seems to be a tad faster.

tell me to open alias ":System:Library:CoreServices:Finder.app:"

Phillipe also pointed out that when you run or compile the two scripts above, that the Script Editor will automagically add your drive’s name into the path.
Additionally, if you use Big Cat you can save this script in your Big Cat Scripts folder to access Applescript Dictionaries via Contextual Menus

on main(filelist)
	tell application "Script Editor"
		activate
		repeat with i from 1 to (count of items in filelist)
			open {(item i of filelist) as alias}
		end repeat
	end tell
end main

For another clever way of opening Scripting Dictionaries, see this post by Nigel Garvey