A general handler for checking if an osax is installed

Hello.

It is just an easy way to figure out if an osax is installed, with the opportunity to point the user to some download page for said osax. The osax that is sought for in the example, doesn’t exist.

I stole this ide from Matt-Boy in this post

property scriptTitle : "Test for Osax"

if not (checkforOsax by "Sativmage.osax" against "This script requires satimage.osax You can download Satimage.osax from here:" from "http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/downloads/downloads_companion_osaxen.html" for my scriptTitle) then
	tell application "Finder"
		open folder (path to scripting additions folder from local domain)
		open folder (path to downloads folder)
		activate
	end tell
	error number -128
end if

to checkforOsax by OsaxName against eMsg from dlUrl for scriptTitle
	--Make sure XML plug-in is installed. If not, install it.
	local localFol, userFol, found, tBt, go
	set localFol to path to scripting additions folder from local domain as text
	set userFol to path to scripting additions folder from user domain as text

tell application "System Events"
		set found to (exists file (localFol & OsaxName))
		if not found then set found to (exists file (userFol & OsaxName))
	end tell
	if not found then
               set go to false
		try
			tell application "SystemUIServer"
				activate

set tBt to button returned of (display dialog eMsg with title scriptTitle default answer dlUrl buttons {"Go", "Ok"} cancel button 2 default button 1 with icon 2)
				set go to (tBt = "Go")

end tell
		end try
		if go then tell application "Safari"
			activate
			open location dlUrl
		end tell
		return false
	else
		return true
	end if

end checkforOsax

Edit
It could over course have a more instructive error message, and be followed up, by opening the appropriate folder in a finder window, the local library IMHO, and the download folder after the function has failed. In order to ease the process as much as possible!

Not directly opening the url, that gives me the creeps, and a feeling of lack of control. Funny though, I don’t even like that behaviour of applications, (if I don’t know them well).

How about checking embedded OSAX? When a application bundle contains a ‘Scripting Addition’ folder, it will be top priority to load this OSAX all over other (user and system) OSAX installed. For distributions I never install an OSAX on workstations but use store them inside the application. On the other hand I’m loading external script objects by webservices or stored on the disk, where some of them need an OSAX and therefore needs to check if they can run properly.

I really don’t know how to load such a scripting addition before any other sought, if not Applescript seeks the scripting additions in that order.

I think you’ll have to rework that library for that particular issue. I don’t see that problem as something this handler is to take care of really. It is beyond the scope, because this handler is meant to be run from a script. A handler working as you would like, would have to consider its caller, which this handler don’t.

I don’t even know it if it is possible to consider the caller, if not this handler is embedded in a script library embedded in some code. Then I’d actually have some code embedding this handler, and a property, to make sure this handler isn’t run, or just strip the handler out of the code

Ahh… and I did make the script more user friendly, giving the option of just pushing the button, to go to the page.

Edit What Bazzie Wazzie wants, is actually a good idea! I live in the belief that a osaxen living in the scripting additons folder of an application bundle will be loaded first, when the applet is running!

This is not on the agenda at the moment, but I’ll come back with a version covering this special need. I am sure permissions to use a scripting addition is easy to get really, if one bother, most require you to say that you use them in your scripts or applications, nowadays, if you are to deliver the osaxens with the applets or scripts, providing for necessary functionality, and this way to obtain scripting additions, says it pretty clearly! :slight_smile:

Version for checking for installed osaxens in application bundles. :slight_smile:

Removed a minor bug in the script above.

property scriptTitle : "Test for Osax"
on run

if not (checkforOsax by "Satimage.osax" against "This script requires satimage.osax You can download Satimage.osax from here:" from "http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/downloads/downloads_companion_osaxen.html" for my scriptTitle) then
		set folFound to false

if exists folder ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:Scripting Additions:") then
				set pxPath to POSIX path of ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:Scripting Additions:")
				set folFound to true
			else if exists folder ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:ScriptingAdditions:") then
				set pxPath to POSIX path of ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:ScriptingAdditions:")
				set folFound to true
			end if
		end tell
		if not folFound then
			set pxFol to POSIX path of ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:")

do shell script "cd " & quoted form of pxFol & " ; mkdir " & quoted form of "Scripting Additions"
			set pxPath to POSIX path of ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:Scripting Additions:")
		end if
		do shell script "cd " & quoted form of pxPath & " ; open . "
		tell application "Finder"
			open folder (path to downloads folder)
			activate
		end tell
		error number -128
	end if

end run

to checkforOsax by OsaxName against eMsg from dlUrl for scriptTitle

local localFol1, localFol2, found, tBt, go
	set localFol1 to ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:Scripting Additions:")
	set localFol2 to ((path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:ScriptingAdditions:")

set found to (exists file (localFol1 & OsaxName))
		if not found then set found to (exists file (localFol2 & OsaxName))
	end tell
	if not found then
		set go to false
		try
			tell application "SystemUIServer"
				activate

set tBt to button returned of (display dialog eMsg with title scriptTitle default answer dlUrl buttons {"Go", "Ok"} cancel button 2 default button 1 with icon 2)
				set go to (tBt = "Go")

end tell
		end try
		if go then tell application "Safari"
			activate
			open location dlUrl
		end tell
		return false
	else
		return true
	end if

end checkforOsax

AFAIK, when you want to use an embedded osax the folder should be called “Scripting Additions”, not “ScriptingAdditions”.

I remember trying to use an embedded osax, and it wouldn’t work, maybe this was in Tiger. Does anybodu know when it became possible to embed osaxen? Did it work as intended from the start?

Hello!

Well, my intentions were right but spelling bad: I had spellled Additions Additons so it didn’t work!

But [color=black]there are no spaces in[/color][color=blue] Scripting Additions [/color][color=black]when inside an applet![/color].

I just removed the satimate.osax from My scripting additions folder, and into the ScriptingAddtions folder of my applet, and it worked just fine. :slight_smile:

And the working version of this code is uploaded to the post above.

OK, thank you. My source may have been talking about Tiger only, can’t tell.

Scripting Additions with a single space works fine as well, no problem.

Hello.

Ok, I seem to remember that that was different some versions ago, maybe that behaviour started with leopard, that means I’ll have to search for contents of both folder names!

I’ll come back with an updated version. It seems at least what Tiger concerns the name should be ScriptingAdditions according to this link.

I can confirm that Scripting Additons work under Snow Leopard (as do ScriptingAdditions). :slight_smile:

The question is for Leopard, what it takes.

It has been possible to include scripting additions since Panther according to this post.

Hello!

The code above is updated to consider both foldernames.

The fastest way to check for Osaxen in general is to do something like this:

on scriptingAdditionExists(_name)
	set locScptAddFldr to path to scripting additions from local domain as text
	set sysScptAddFldr to path to scripting additions from system domain as text
	set usrScptAddFldr to path to scripting additions from user domain as text
	set saLocList to {locScptAddFldr, sysScptAddFldr, usrScptAddFldr}
	repeat with i in saLocList
		try
			alias (i & _name)
			return true
		end try
	end repeat