Passing title of selected menubar item to an action

I am creating a menubar app in OS X 10.10 that consists of a dynamically created dropdown menu. Depending on what is clicked on the dropdown menu, a different shell script (or in this early case, a simple display dialog) is to be run based off of the title of the item selected.

I am unable to figure out how to pass the title of the selected menu item as a string to ‘someAction:sender’. As of right now, no matter what is selected from the dropdown menu, the same action will happen every time. I would like to have a way to perform a unique action depending on what is selected without having to manually create an action for each menu item (as the number of menu items will change). How can I accomplish this?

Thank you,

Here is the section of the code in question:

on makeMenus()

set dividerCount to 0
	repeat with i from 1 to number of items in mylibrary
		set this_item to item i of mylibrary
		--display dialog this_item
		set thisMenuItem to (current application's NSMenuItem's alloc()'s initWithTitle:this_item action:"someAction" keyEquivalent:"")

(newMenu's addItem:thisMenuItem)

(thisMenuItem's setTarget:me) -- required for enabling the menu item
		set dividerCount to dividerCount + 1
		if dividerCount is 4 then
			(newMenu's addItem:(current application's NSMenuItem's separatorItem)) -- add a seperator
			set dividerCount to 0
		end if
	end repeat
	set quitMenuItem to (current application's NSMenuItem's alloc()'s initWithTitle:"Quit" action:"showQuit:" keyEquivalent:"")
	StatusItem's setMenu:newMenu
	newMenu's addItem:quitMenuItem
	quitMenuItem's setTarget:me

end makeMenus

--menuItems  action is required for the menu to be enabled

on someAction()
	display dialog "THIS IS WHERE I WOULD LIKE TO DISPLAY THE TITLE OF THE MENU ITEM SELECTED"

end someAction

on showQuit:sender
	quit
end showQuit:

Hi,

if you add a colon at the end of the action string the reference to the selected menu item is passed in the handler call

set thisMenuItem to (current application's NSMenuItem's alloc()'s initWithTitle:this_item action:"someAction:" keyEquivalent:"")

on someAction(theMenuItem)
	display dialog theMenuItem's title() as text
end someAction

Thank you Stefan! The following worked:

on someAction:thisMenuItem
	display dialog theMenuItem's title() as text
end someAction: