Handling Special Characters with (Choose) Dialog...

Am trying to make a base recursive handler to choose directories to perform actions on, and this code I found online seems to work, but gets stopped straight away whenever a file contains a special character.

I get the old "Can’t make “…” into type string. error.

Now if I drag the file into Terminal, it handles it fine after converting into Unicode. How do I do that with each alias that Finder locates?

createList(choose folder)

on createList(item_list)
	set the the_items to list folder item_list without invisibles
	set item_list to (item_list as Unicode text) as string
	repeat with the_item in the_items
		set the_item_alias to (item_list & the_item) as alias
		if folder of (info for the_item_alias) then
			my createList(the_item_alias)
		else

-- Execution Code

end if
	end repeat
end createList

Remove the “as Unicode text”.

Doesn’t make any difference. I get the same result.

What happens if you run this:

createList(choose folder)

on createList(item_list)
	set the the_items to list folder item_list without invisibles
	set item_list to (item_list as Unicode text) as string
	repeat with the_item in the_items
		set the_item_alias to (item_list & the_item) as alias
		if folder of (info for the_item_alias) then
			my createList(the_item_alias)
		else
			log the_item_alias
		end if
	end repeat
end createList

If that runs OK, the problem is somewhere in your other code.

It just the “Choose” part causing all the problem. If I use:

set theFile to (choose file)
display dialog theFile

it does the same thing. Choose is just not a very robust handler.
I’ve tried (choose as Unicode) or (choose as utf8) and they don’t work at all.

That’s because you’re passing an alias to display dialog, rather than text. Try this:

set theFile to (choose file)
display dialog (theFile as text)

But an alias is what you want for your original code.

So I ask again: Did the code I posted work?

AFAIK, there’s nothing wrong with choose file or choose folder. They work as advertised.

Nope it doesn’t. I get Can’t make alias “…” into type string.

But if I use:

set theFile to POSIX path of (choose file)

it can parse the link, but then I can’t use Finder any further. POSIX handles the non-ASCII characters fine, but then you are stuck in shell-script land, which I might have to do, but everything else runs great in my existing handler, accept when I run into a nonASCII file name.

P.S. an example is one file that has the word L̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ in it. Choose just can’t deal with it. When I pull it over to Terminal via drag I get: L\314\266i\314\266t\314\266t\314\266l\314\266e\314\266 as the POSIX representation of the word.

The commands are choose file or choose folder, and they work just fine with that. here’s my log:

tell application "Script Editor"
	choose file
		--> alias "Macintosh HD:Users:shane:Desktop:L̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶.txt"
end tell
Result:
alias "Macintosh HD:Users:shane:Desktop:L̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶.txt"

That sounds like a Unicode composition problem. Where are you getting such a file? Can you .zip and email me one to test here?

OK So this is solved. Not sure why I was having the problems but just wound up using

set theDir to quoted form of POSIX path of (choose folder)

do shell script "sudo find " & theDir & " -type f -exec " & Execution Code & {} \\;"

Works like a charm. :smiley:

Just be aware that find doesn’t distinguish between folders and packages. Depending on what you’re searching for/in, that may or may not make a difference.

Yes it does. -type f is for FILE. Check the man page.

It can tell files from directories, but it knows nothing about packages, which are directories that look like files – it treats them both as if they were folders. Things like apps, .rtfd files, .scptd files, and others. These are things that exist above the Unix level that find operates in.

You can always do a (!) notation to block anything with .app in it. Not hard to do.

You also potentially need to block other types. And block find from looking within those packages.

But it’s not so much what can or can’t be done as more what people generally overlook doing.

OK so just verified that this works FLAWLESSLY and ignores app-bundles.

do shell script "sudo find " & theDir & " -type f ! -path '*.app/*' -exec " & Execution Code & {} \\;"

you can also do ! -path \( ‘/System/’ ‘/Library/’ \) and anything else you want ignored.
VERY fast too.

Have learned anytime Finder gets to be a pain to look to shell-scripts and the Linux folks have never let me down. As Mac people, it often feels like we’re really missing out by not getting more acquainted with Bash.

Great. But you’ve just made my point: find doesn’t understand packages, so you need to modify your search to try to eliminate them. That’s what I was getting at in the first place.

Fine. But we need to understand that macOS is built on top of Unix, so we need to allow for the fact that Unix tools don’t know what happens at that higher level. Packages are one of those things. I’ve known people to corrupt applications simply because they didn’t allow for the fact that some Unix tool would treat them as directories. (And yes, one of those people was me.)

OK you’ve lost me now. How do you think Finder does it? I can promise you it isn’t some self-awareness of of app-bundles, but is most likely just a path filter. In the old days with File-Forks it was as close as it was ever going to get to what you are alluding to. The point is anytime you can NOT use Finder it’s good because of its bloat, slowness and lack of priority (niceness). Shell scripting is more effective in every way. Just put this to the ultimate test and it bypassed all Libraries (main, system and ~/Library), /Private, /usr, /bin, /sbin, /Volumes, and Caches and only touched User Docs. Not bad for ONE LINE OF CODE.

And I can promise you that you are wrong. It uses Launch Services. Here’s an introduction to it:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/LaunchServicesConcepts/LSCIntro/LSCIntro.html

The point is anytime you can NOT use Finder it's good

In general, I agree entirely. But only as long as you understand what you use instead.

Remember this part of our discussion?

Me: Just be aware that find doesn’t distinguish between folders and packages.

You: Yes it does. -type f is for FILE. Check the man page.

Believe it or not, I was pointing the issue out so you (and any lurkers) didn’t do any harm because of your wrong assumption. No need to say thanks.