Objective C Breaks AppleScript Progress Bar

I got the AppleScript progress bar working in a test script. Then, I tried copying and pasting it into the larger script and the progress bar didn’t show up anymore. I narrowed the problem down to some Objective C code that had to be added to the larger script. The larger script makes a pdf of every InDesign file, then attempts to combine all those pdfs into one pdf book. Because of an alias bit bug, the pdfs would be combined into two books, so I need the objective c code in to fix that bug.

Is there a way to change the code to get the objective c and the AppleScript progress bar to cooperate together? Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--FIXING THE ALIAS BIT BUG THAT PREVENTS THE SCRIPT FROM COMBINING ALL INDESIGN FILES INTO ONE PDF
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions
property filesToOpen : {}

on open droppedfiles
	set my filesToOpen to my filesToOpen & droppedfiles
	-- cancel any pending performSelector: requests
	current application's NSObject's cancelPreviousPerformRequestsWithTarget:me
	-- handle files after a short delay in case further events are received
	tell me to performSelector:"doOpen" withObject:(missing value) afterDelay:0.5

end open

on doOpen()
	copy my filesToOpen to droppedfiles
	set my filesToOpen to {} -- reset for next time

set aRes to length of droppedfiles

repeat with i in droppedfiles
		set j to POSIX path of i
	end repeat

--DISPLAYING THE PROGRESS BAR

repeat with i from 1 to count of droppedfiles
		set afile to item i of droppedfiles
		set item_count to count of droppedfiles
		set prog_description to "Duplicating File " & i & " of " & item_count
		tell current application to activate
		my make_progress_bar(afile, item_count, i, prog_description)
	end repeat

end doOpen

--FUNCTIONS

--Function to create progress bar
on make_progress_bar(this_item, item_count, current_item_count, prog_description)
	set progress total steps to item_count
	set progress description to prog_description
	tell application "Finder" to set item_name to name of this_item
	set progress additional description to item_name
	delay 1
	set progress completed steps to current_item_count
end make_progress_bar

Browser: Safari 604.3.5
Operating System: macOS 10.14