Remove GateKeeper Quarantine from the application.

Recent versions of OS X do not have a menu for launching applications from an unknown (unknown to Apple) developer. This limitation is new and often annoying.

The developer can be quite credible. He’s just tired of paying Apple. Or he died from the Covid-19…

If you still trust the source of the application and want to use it for the first time or remove the quarantine from it (in other words, bypass the Gatekeeper for this particular application), then a small script I wrote for this purpose will come in handy:

set theApp to choose application
set appPosixPath to POSIX path of (path to theApp)
set quotedPath to quoted form of appPosixPath

do shell script "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine " & quotedPath with administrator privileges

Some applications can’t be chosen with choose application dialog (Gatekeeper throw error), but you still can provide full path and remove the application from quarantine:

set theApp to ((path to applications folder) as text) & "Avidemux_2.7.8.app"
set appPosixPath to POSIX path of theApp

do shell script "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine " & quotedPath with administrator privileges

Soon Apple’s fight for my safety will turn into my fight against Apple.

In this post, I want to suggest how to Remove GateKeeper Quarantine not only from the application, but also from the trustworthy framework. I used this to remove quarantine from a useful framework “ASObjCExtras” of Shane Stanley. Of course, the downloaded framework should be copied before in the user’s framework location (“~ /Library/Frameworks”):

set userFrameworks to alias ("" & (path to library folder from user domain) & "Frameworks")
set theFrameWork to choose folder of type "frameworks" default location userFrameworks

set appPosixPath to POSIX path of theFrameWork

And here is how to remove GateKeeper Quarantine from script library, downloaded by browser, and copied to folder Script Libraries of folder Library of home folder:

set userScriptLibraries to alias ("" & (path to library folder from user domain) & "Script Libraries")
set theFrameWork to choose file of type "scptd" default location userScriptLibraries

set appPosixPath to POSIX path of theFrameWork