awk-sed-and-grep geekery • Shell code article

This is neither a question nor strictly script-centric, but there’s a short, novice-level article on Ars that may be interesting to scripters using shell calls in their code. Even some of the comments are instructive. If this sort of link isn’t permitted/desirable for the forum, let me know, and I’ll delete it within 24 hours. Thanks.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/linux-bsd-command-line-101-using-awk-sed-and-grep-in-the-terminal/

That was pretty good. I find that many man pages are difficult to parse due to the assumptions they make. Given that awk’s man page (as a pdf) is all of three pages, it’s really geared more towards people who already know what they’re doing. While there are innumerable tutorials, they are not always pleasant to follow through. It’s difficult to write something that is suitable for a very wide audience. It isn’t that all this information isn’t available elsewhere, of course it is, but I liked how it was laid out. Just putting together that focused table on redirection made it useful.

I read three pages of the comments. I think there were eight when I read it; I just checked and now they’re up to twelve. I’m about to read some more now. I hope they can follow up with more such articles to help readers consolidate these concepts.