newbie - URL Request

If you don’t want to use a browser, how do you want to “go to” the URL?
A command can be issued without going through a browser, but it will
take the default browser, as set in the Internet control panel, to the
targeted URL.
Example:

open location "http://www.blah.net/song.php?song=song%20name&artist=artist%20name"

Later,
Rob J

Ahh, yeah I guess my original wording was a bit ambiguous
What I want to do is send the variables to that script, and have it run on the server. It wouldn’t have to output anything, but I suppose its really not as simple as it seems. I just want it to run some sort of send those variables secretly. Maybe an HTTP Post, or something. I suppose it really isn’t possible.
My main concern is that I won’t be able to use my browser when it takes control of the browser. Or if it will just start to overtake everything in my system, so if I’m working on a photoshop document bam theres internet explorer.
This script would more than likely run every minute or 2.
Thanks for your help!

: What I want to do is send the variables to that script, and have it run on
: the server. It wouldn’t have to output anything, but I suppose its really
: not as simple as it seems. I just want it to run some sort of send those
: variables secretly. Maybe an HTTP Post, or something. I suppose it really
: isn’t possible.

pre-OS X, you could use URL Access Scripting to send the url request instead of a browser.

tell application "URL Access Scripting"
    activate
    download "http://www.blah.net/song.php?song=song%20name&artist=artist%20name" to temporaryFile without progress
    quit
end tell

The ‘without progress’ parameter makes URLAS do its deed w/o any progress bar display, and the temporaryFile (whatever you define the file spec) is the resulting page that would be displayed had the url been fetched with a browser. Other paramters of the ‘download’ command may have to be used to make the script on the server work.

In OSX I’m to understand there are more options (and a lack of URLAS), but I’m not certain what they are.