On Browser Protocols...

(In the interest of preserving future options…)

Peter B.

Last year I worked in a similar project, whose main goal was save, compile & run applescript code from a web page.
http://www.macscripter.net/sb_search.t?keyword=run+ascript&go=Search
The hardest was parsing the stuff returned by the browser, its mode to transfer the encoded link information, most difficult when the stuff passed was, eg, a big string (100 lines of applescript code).
Finally (I can’t remember details), I did it, and found the way to pass the info correctly to the script, but it required some javascript knowledge from the web-applescript-developer, and it may depend much on the browser (IE, Netscape, Opera, iCab, Mozilla, Communicator…).
Also, I thought its posibilities were great… On-line installers, tutorials, some interesting capabilities for workgroups and intranet…
Hard work, no reward. :evil:
But I always develop my scripts/apps only & exclusively for ME. This is the good part :lol:
If my code can help others, cool. But never thought seriously about commercial stuff, including some extremely clever ( :oops: ) prepress workflow projects I developed in my old job.
Perhaps AppleScript Studio and a bit of design will do anything for AppleScript! :twisted:

Cheers…

JJ:

But I always develop my scripts/apps only & exclusively for ME.

You and Rob J. have both made this point. My own need for something like ML was met early on in the project… but I tend to be rather obsessive…

I downloaded Run ASCRIPT and am much impressed that you were embedding and parsing whole scripts from the link (!!!). (Who is it with an obsession ???)

From Run ASCRIPT documentation:

1. Notice about Run ASCRIPT source code
    Please, if you’re interested in the code, mail me to julifos…

Yes, I’m interested, if you find time to e-mail… Please.

You and Dan S. (krioni) were the two ‘list members’ I was thinking of when I wrote “jumping up and down quietly”.

Congratulations on your new AS site. (If only I knew a second language.)

Regards,

Peter B.

bunnz@mhtc.net

PS - Muddy Waters (McKinley Morganfield), not Willie Dixon wrote “You can’t spend… (and so on)”

You can’t win for losing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just looking for it!.. (both plain applescript -v. 2- & facespan version -v. 3-)

I was investigating this stuff many time and I found some reliques, such as Mark Aldritt’s “AppleScript in HTML”, which was not a “protocol helper”, but an “application helper” or “post-processor” for the first data fork applescripts in the history.
Also, Mr. Cheeseman sent me a copy of the oldie “Flypaper” (1995!) for Netscape.
And, finally, an extensive project made by a japanese, which I never understood very well (obvious reasons), but seemed pretty interesting.
I still think AS as protocol-helper is a cool idea and has great posibilities…
Hey! Apple dropped some scripts to work with images from IE! :wink:

Jumping up and down? :slight_smile: Well, it does sound interesting. I’ve made a mailto handler that lets you have mailto links in web pages take you to Yahoo’s Compose mail web page. However, I haven’t updated it for a while, since I went back to using Eudora.

There’s a lot that can be done - I just wish I had more time to do it.

Krioni wrote:

Jumping up and down?

Well, at least you guys knew of the method… and had put it to good use. Rather few others appear to have done so… or will admit to it.

There’s a lot that can be done - I just wish I had more time to do it.

Indeed. I have the time, but, regrettably, not the skills to make something more of Missing Link. I’m also quite content with 8.6… which puts a bit of a limiting factor on future development. (Anyone care to collaborate?)

Just the same, if the protocols are limited to fairly simple tasks, they ought to run on almost any Mac OS… using almost any browser.

It remains a mystery to me why browser protocols (at least local ones) aren’t used more widely… and/or why previous efforts never caught on.

Julifos mentioned that ‘Flypaper’ was on the scene as early as '95. (I also discovered it at Bill Cheeseman’s AppleScript Sourcebook). I had already worked out a different (very Byzantine) scheme that worked locally by the time I found Flypaper… and finally abandoned my own method in favor of Eric Iverson’s approach.

Anyways…

I hope to update the Missing Link site soon… and will mention it here again when I do. But, other than lurking at various AS lists, I’m taking a breather from anything that resembles scripting.

(Yeah, Right).

Later,

Peter B.
bunnz@mhtc.net