mail.app: 'filter' unread messages

hi,

i’m trying to extract the sender and subject of any unread messages of the in mailbox. though i’m more a designer than a scripter i modified some scripts i found elsewhere to do what i want. right now the script i put together diplays the sender of all messages, and put each set in a seperate dialog.

tell application "Mail"
	try
		set n to junk mailbox
		repeat with i from 1 to count of messages of n
			set msg to message i of n
			tell msg
				set sndr to sender as string
				set sbjct to subject as string
			end tell
			my rslt(sndr, sbjct)
		end repeat
	on error errstr number errnum
		return errstr & return & "Error number: " & errnum as string
	end try
end tell

on rslt(sndr, sbjct)
	display dialog sndr & return & return & sbjct & return buttons {"OK"} default button "OK" with icon note
end rslt

well, that’s it right now … i’m really proud that i got so far on my own :slight_smile:
but:
→ i have no clue how to get the sender/subject of only the new messages
→ next i’d better like to get the result as a string like this: “sender1”, “subject1”, “sender2”, “subject2”, …

any help available? thnx
.claire

okay, i finally did it :)))

tell application "Mail"
	try
		set n to junk mailbox
		repeat with i from 1 to count of (every message in n whose is read is false)
			tell msg
			end tell
			my rslt(sndr, sbjct)
		end repeat
	end try
end tell

on rslt(sndr, sbjct)
	display dialog sndr & return & return & sbjct & return buttons {"OK"} default button "OK" with icon note
end rslt

→ but how do i get the result into the prefered string right now?

who’s the first to help; or will i succeed again :wink:
ready - steady - go
.claire

If you have a mailbox named “Junk”, this should work:

tell application "Mail" 
    try 
       set n to mailbox "Junk"
       repeat with i from 1 to count of (every message in n whose is read is false) 
          tell msg 
          end tell 
          my rslt(sndr, sbjct) 
       end repeat 
    end try 
 end tell 

on rslt(sndr, sbjct) 
 end rslt

ooh – i’m sorry for misleading you in the wrong direction: that’s not exactly what i want the script to do.

→ i’d like to display the sender and subject of all new junk mails of every account.
i don’t have created a special mailbox called “Junk”, but as i have enabled junk mail detection Mail automatically created a mailbox-group(?) called “Junk” with a submailbox for each account (pop3 and imap as well). different to my script your modification funnily displays only all junk mails of _one_of my accounts.

→ what i’d like the script to do right now is to not to display a dialog with sender/subject of each new junk mail, but to put the result “rslt” in a string like this: “sender1, subject1, sender2, subject2, sender3, subject3, …”
i apologize if this may be so dumb easy that you can’t believe someone asking this … but as i said scripting usually is too abstract to me; and though i’m still trying i have no clue yet how to change this …

would be great if someone might give a hint
thnx
.claire

Maybe this is closer to what you want. I don’t have ‘junk mailbox’ so it might not work. :slight_smile:

set rslt to ""

tell application "Mail"
	--try
	set n to junk mailbox
	set unreadMessages to every message in n whose is read is false
	if (count of unreadMessages) is 0 then return -- terminate script if no unread messages are present
	repeat with thisMessage in unreadMessages
		tell thisMessage
			set rslt to rslt & (sender & ", " & subject & ", ")
		end tell
	end repeat
	set rslt to text 1 thru -3 of rslt
	--end try
end tell
rslt

Y E A H !
that’s it!
great!
so now this part of my project is complete and i’m ready to advance the next steps.

thanks a lot :slight_smile:
.claire

I’m glad it works. :smiley:

– Rob