Connecting to win 2K server and OSX 10.2.4

It :shock:

It appears that connecting for OSX10.2.4 using AFP to windows 2K servers causes problems so I am trying to create a script to log on the following code used to work under AFP.

mount volume “afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx/servername” as user name “John” with password “smith”

now the following line

mount volume “smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx/servername” as user name “John” with password “smith”

does not work can any one point me to what I am doing wrong.

Try this…works for me:

mount volume “afp://username:password@servername”

It is basically throwing the username/password into the URL instead of using Applescript to pass it.

the afp protocol although prefered is sometimes not eneabled on the server side you could try SMB protocol(standard for windows) if you are still unable to connect

yes I know but AFP causes problems i am trying to use SFB but can not get the syntax I used in my original quote to work.

I have also tried open location command but can not get this to work.

did you mean smb of sfb i have never heard of sfb

To get it working over smb, just switch to this:

mount volume “smb://username:password@server/share”

the /share is only necessary if you don’t want the user of the script to browse the shares. There are also problems if the shares are not browesable if you don’t add the /share.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“szumlins”]

To get it working over smb, just switch to this:

mount volume “smb://username:password@server/share”

the /share is only necessary if you don’t want the user of the script to browse the shares. There are also problems if the shares are not browesable if you don’t add the /share.

Thansk for this I have got the above to work except the /share. If I leave this out in connects to the server and allows the user to select share point but as soon as i put in /Playground which is exactly what the share point is called I get an error saying

Finder got an error: Some parameter wasn’t understood

I have tried this with other servers, both win2k and NT4 but get the same error each time. Have any ideas on whats going wrong.

Steve