Applescript Studio and new Mac App Store

Anyone see anything about whether or not applescript studio apps will be allowed in the upcoming Mac App Store? I’m wondering if they’re going to require AppleScriptObjC. I couldn’t find anything with my Google attempts.

Hi,

acoording this article I think AppleScript Studio apps are generally supported, because they are created with Xcode. There is no limitation to Objective-C. You just have to take care that the app runs on the currently shipping OS

Thanks for the link. I wonder about this quote:

“Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed technologies (e.g., Java, [PowerPC code requiring] Rosetta) will be rejected.”

since as far as I know, Apple considers applescript studio is deprecated, but I suppose it’s the tool to create the app that is deprecated, not the app technology itself.

The other quote that caught my eye:

“Apps that require license keys or implement their own copy protection will be rejected. Apps that present a license screen at launch will be rejected.”

Which makes me wonder if Apple will incorporate some sort of copy protection system similar to the iphone/ipad where the only way to install the app is via iTunes. I don’t know anything about the technology involved, but I wonder if AppleScriptObjC will be required. Regardless, I guess I should just bite the bullet and move on the AppleScriptObjC.

That affects apps which are not Universal Binary (PPC only). AppleScript Studio since Tiger can build Universal Binary apps

But AppleScript Studio is now an officially deprecated technology…

During the demo, the guy doing it did not seem to use iTunes, just the MAS. I think Steve also said something to the effect of “you can install the program on ALL of YOUR computers”. That sounded to me like there was almost NO copy protection, unless Lion is the one to finally (unfortunately) implement some kind of system-level serial number/registration; or App-Store like per-machine registration with your user ID.
Also remember, buying stuff on the App Store (currently) means you pay right away, or as a Dev you make a free separate (limited feature/demo) version.

AppleScript studio is depricated, but it’s been replaced By the new AppleScript-cocoa bridge. I’d be really interested to find out if AS apps are allowed in the store.

I’d like to find out if AppleScript-ObjC apps will be allowed in the Mac App Store.

There’s no reason they wouldn’t be.

Has anyone submitted an AS Studio or AS Obj-C app to the app store yet? Any pointers?