Get an AppleScript to run as an Automator service?

I have an AppleScript that runs on images selected in the Finder. I’m trying to make an Automator service with it so I can right click on the images and run it as a service, but I’m having trouble getting it working. Here’s the script:

set theFolder to (path to desktop folder as text) & "Packaged Retina TIFFs:"

tell application "Finder"
	set theItems to selection as alias list
	if exists folder theFolder then
		(* do nothing *)
	else
		make new folder at (path to desktop folder as text) with properties {name:"Packaged Retina TIFFs"}
	end if
end tell

repeat with anItem in theItems
	set standardImage to contents of anItem
	tell application "System Events" to set {name:fileName, name extension:nameExtension, container:parentFolder} to standardImage
	if nameExtension is missing value then set nameExtension to ""
	if nameExtension is not "" then set fileName to text 1 thru ((count fileName) - (count nameExtension) - 1) of fileName

set retinaImage to (path of parentFolder) & fileName & "@2x." & nameExtension
	try
		retinaImage as alias -- test if @2x file exists
		set combinedTIFF to POSIX path of (path to desktop folder) & "Packaged Retina TIFFs/" & fileName & "_retina.tiff"
		--set combinedTIFF to POSIX path of theFolder2 & fileName & "_retina.tiff"
		do shell script "tiffutil -cathidpicheck" & space & quoted form of POSIX path of standardImage & space & quoted form of POSIX path of retinaImage & space & "-out" & space & quoted form of combinedTIFF
	end try
end repeat

When I select some images and run the service it says “The action “Run AppleScript” encountered an error”. Any ideas on what I should do to make it work?

I would wrap it in an error handler to see if I could get more information that way …

try
	set theFolder to (path to desktop folder as text) & "Packaged Retina TIFFs:"

tell application "Finder"
		set theItems to selection as alias list
		if exists folder theFolder then
			(* do nothing *)
		else
			make new folder at (path to desktop folder as text) with properties {name:"Packaged Retina TIFFs"}
		end if
	end tell

repeat with anItem in theItems
		set standardImage to contents of anItem
		tell application "System Events" to set {name:fileName, name extension:nameExtension, container:parentFolder} to standardImage
		if nameExtension is missing value then set nameExtension to ""
		if nameExtension is not "" then set fileName to text 1 thru ((count fileName) - (count nameExtension) - 1) of fileName

set retinaImage to (path of parentFolder) & fileName & "@2x." & nameExtension
		try
			retinaImage as alias -- test if @2x file exists
			set combinedTIFF to POSIX path of (path to desktop folder) & "Packaged Retina TIFFs/" & fileName & "_retina.tiff"
			--set combinedTIFF to POSIX path of theFolder2 & fileName & "_retina.tiff"
			do shell script "tiffutil -cathidpicheck" & space & quoted form of POSIX path of standardImage & space & quoted form of POSIX path of retinaImage & space & "-out" & space & quoted form of combinedTIFF
		end try
	end repeat

on error errMsg number errNum
	tell me
		activate
		display alert errMsg & return & return & "Error number" & errNum buttons "Cancel"
	end tell
end try

Thanks for the help. When I use the updated script and run it the error message says:

System Events got an error: Can’t get path of folder “Macintosh HD:Users:Jono:Desktop:”
Error number-1728

I’m not sure why it has a problem with the path. Any ideas of what could be wrong?