MAc OS X 10.8 Notification Center and Applescript

Hello,
are there any posibilities to show customizable message in Mac OS X 10.8 Notification Center via AppleScript?
I found only RUBY-based command line application (https://github.com/alloy/terminal-notifier), which have to be installed as interface between Notification Center and AppleScript ā€œ but I donā€™t want install any aditional app :expressionless:
Can I use Cocoa functions " NSUserNotification" and ā€œNSUserNotificationCenterā€ http://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/Cocoa/Foundation.html#10_8UserNotification directly from AppleScript?

Thank You

+Ferite

I have the same question!

Donā€™t want to rely on other extension to make notifications work.

If you wonā€™t use a helper app, you will have to use AppleScriptObjC:

set theNotif to current application's NSUserNotification's alloc()'s init()
tell theNotif
	setTitle_("A title")
	setInformativeText_("This is some information")
end tell
tell current application's NSUserNotificationCenter's defaultUserNotificationCenter() to deliverNotification_(theNotif)

Could you go int more details on how to use the script you posted? If I run it as a normal script I get error "žNSUserNotification" versteht die Nachricht žalloc" nicht." number -1708 from NSUserNotification.

When I create a new script with the ā€œCocoa-Apple Script-Appletā€ template, paste the code and execute it, a message is displayed once (multiple executions donā€™t create multiple messages) but its only created in the background in the notification center without a notification window.

Is there a way to display a notification window?

AppleScript: 2.2.2
Browser: Safari 537.4
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

The user controls that via the Notifications panel of System Preferences. Even then, I think the dialogs donā€™t appear if the application sending the notification is front-most. And you can add an entry to the appā€™s Info.plist file for NSUserNotificationAlertStyle to set the default style (although the user always has last say).

Did anyone find out how to do it with applescript?

using the snippet code i get

You need to save it as a Cocoa-AppleScript app. It canā€™t be done in raw AppleScript at this stage.

Hi slashdot,

I just discovered today, that you can run a Cocoa-AppleScript app in the AppleScript Editor as people were saying all the time. Go to:

File > New from Template > Cocoa-AppleScript Applet

In that window you can compile Cocoa stuf with most AppleScript.

gl,
kel

Hey, welcome to Mac OS X 10.7 :wink: Hereā€™s a bit more info:

macosxautomation.com/lion/applescript.html

Why didnā€™t anybody tell me about this?! :smiley: Another toy.

You just made a grown man weepā€¦

Okā€¦ so what am I missing here.

1. open applescript editor
  2. file > new from template > Cocoa-AppleScript Applet
  3. paste
tell theNotif
   setTitle_("A title")
end tell
tell current application's NSUserNotificationCenter's defaultUserNotificationCenter() to deliverNotification_(theNotif)

4.Script > Run Application or file > save > fileformat application

1. both result in the same thing no notification in the notification center and the app just doesnā€™t execute in 10.8

From the docs:

Your app is frontmost when you run it. You can make your script the user notification centreā€™s delegate and override this action like this:

tell theNotif
	setTitle_("A title")
end tell
tell current application's NSUserNotificationCenter's defaultUserNotificationCenter()
	setDelegate_(me)
	deliverNotification_(theNotif)
end tell

on userNotificationCenter_shouldPresentNotification_(cen, notif) -- delegate method
	return yes
end userNotificationCenter_shouldPresentNotification_

that did it. thanks.

This works fine, when I create new ASObjC script and simply paste, but when I have something like:

on initObject()
  script theObject
    on notify()
      tell theNotif
	setTitle_("A title")
      end tell
      tell current application's NSUserNotificationCenter's defaultUserNotificationCenter()
	setDelegate_(me)
	deliverNotification_(theNotif)
      end tell
    end notify

on userNotificationCenter_shouldPresentNotification_(cen, notif) -- delegate method
	return yes
    end userNotificationCenter_shouldPresentNotification_
  end script

return theObject
end initObject

When I init the object like:

use theObject : script "theObjectScript"
set instanceOfObject to theObject's initObject()
instanceOfObject's notify()

The OSX Mavericksā€™s AppleScript editor throws system exception on the problem with delegate method, am I doing something wrong???

Thanks,
Regards,

It looks like a bug to me, probably in AS or ASObjC rather than ASE. Log a bug report.

Bug report raised

Damn :frowning: since I have begun with ASObjC I started to find bug by bug :frowning: I think I should stick with other languages :smiley:

If you have 10.9, thisā€™ll work:

display notification "Draw Something NOW!" with title "MacPaint " subtitle "v 1.3 says:" sound name "Sosumi"

http://macosxautomation.com/mavericks/notifications/01.html

thanks, this works like a charm :slight_smile: