be a light into yourself (part 2)

The results of the experiment (see previous post):

OS 10.9.5 (AS 2.6.1):
The four scripts and their corresponding apps successfully executed the 10 second delay.

OS 10.10.5 (AS 2.7)
The four scripts executed the10 second delay before presenting the dialog.

One applescript application (#1); this one:

tell application ā€œFinderā€ to delay 10
display dialog ā€œhelloā€

successfully waited 10 seconds before presenting the dialog. Whereas the other three AS applications failed the delay, each one consistently presenting the dialog instantly, across 5 trials.

OS 10.11.6 (AS 2.8.1)
The four scripts and their corresponding apps displayed the dialog after 10 seconds.

OS 10.12.5 (AS 2.9)
The four scripts and their four corresponding apps successfully displayed the dialog after 10 seconds.

The results for OS 10.10.5 (above) were replicated on a second computer. Discussion: The obvious question is, what does this mean? The answer: It means nothing.

Except. One solid state mac mini - with an intel core 5i processor - across 5 trials, in the space of 30 minutes, using applescript 2.7 on Yosemite (10.10.5) - on 3/20/2018 - failed to execute the delay command unless one specific syntax was used; in which case, the AS apps consistently delayed the script and then successfully delayed it again, across another 5 trials on another mac mini.

If anyone happens to have 10.1, 2, 3 or 4 and has the interest, I for one would like to know, can the results be replicated across earlier versions of Yosemite. Or not. My guess is that few people with Yosemite, have the earlier versions.

On the other hand, Iā€™m finished taking guesses when it comes to programming and Iā€™m definitely finished reading stack, ask different and anything else on the internet (with the exception of this forum of course ; - ) ) - written by people who might be 9 years old, 90 years old, somewhere in between, may know a lot or nothing at all and may be pretending to know what theyā€™re (oftentimes dogmatically) writing about.

The methodology is simple and straightforward. Compiling and saving the scripts and apps within the OS itself - copied from a text doc - would be important.

ā€œBe a light unto yourself; betake yourselves to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone besides yourselves.ā€ The words of Buddha Shakyamuni , as he lay dying, spoken to Anan, his young disciple.

FYI, delay is a scripting addition command that should not be used within an application tell block. There were also bugs with it in 10.9.

FYI, Do whatever you feel you should do, Stanley cuz Iā€™m certainly not going to should on you. FYI no bugs associated with the delay command in OS 9.5 on my four machines.

FYI, you might want to re-read my post and this time, try to grasp its meaning.

FYI

OK. But you might want to read the section entitled Scripting Addition Security here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/AppleScript/RN-AppleScript/RN-10_6/RN-10_6.html

Thatā€™s Apple telling you what should and shouldnā€™t be done.

My mistake: itā€™s 10.10.

Also previously discussed here, although with less testing: https://www.macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=45363

FYI, delay is a built-in command, itā€™s not part of Standard Additions (even mentioned in Script Debugger :wink: )

You got me there :frowning: