CSV text to AppleScript list

As the thread subject suggests, the handler in this script produces an AppleScript list from CSV text. It does largely the same as an old vanilla one I revised at the beginning of this year, but uses ASObjC and regex and is considerably less fiddly and a bit faster. Assumptions and parameters are detailed in the comments.

(* Assumes that the CSV text follows the RFC 4180 convention:
	Records are delimited by CRLF line breaks (but LFs or CRs are OK too here).
	The last record in the text may or may not be followed by a line break.
	All the records have the same number of fields.
	Fields in the same record are separated by commas (but a different separator can be specified here with an optional parameter).
	The last field in a record is /not/ by a field separator.
	Any field value may be enclosed in double-quotes and /must/ be if its value contains line breaks, separator characters, or double-quote characters.
	Double-quote characters within quoted fields are escaped as pairs of double-quotes.
	Trailing or leading spaces in unquoted fields are included in the field values (but can be trimmed here with the optional 'trimming' parameter).
	Spaces (or anything else!) outside the quotes of quoted fields are not allowed (but situations with spaces outside of quotes can be rescued here with the 'trimming' parameter).

No other variations are currently supported. *)

demo()

on demo()
	set CSVText to (read (choose file of type {"csv"} default location (path to desktop)) as «class utf8»)
	CSVToList(CSVText, {}) -- Same as CSVToList(CSVText, {separator:",", trimming:false})
end demo

(* Return a list of lists from a CSV text.
	Parameters:
		CSVText: The CSV text. Can be text, NSString, or NSMutableString.
		implementation: A record with optional 'separator' and 'trimming' properties. 'separator' specifies the field separator (default = ","), while 'trimming' indicates whether or not to trim leading and trailing spaces from field values (default = false).
*)
on CSVToList(CSVText, implementation)
	script o
		use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
		use framework "Foundation"

property allFields : missing value
		property output : {}

on CSVToList()
			-- Sort out the field separator and trimming mode.
			set {separator:fieldSeparator, trimming:trimming} to implementation & {separator:",", trimming:false}

-- Get an NSMutableString version of the CSV text and strip any trailing line breaks from it.
			set |⌘| to current application
			set CSVString to (|⌘|'s class "NSMutableString"'s stringWithString:(CSVText))
			set regexSearch to |⌘|'s NSRegularExpressionSearch
			tell CSVString to replaceOccurrencesOfString:("\\R++\\Z") withString:("") options:(regexSearch) range:({0, its |length|()})
			-- If the very first field's empty, insert an additional field separator at the beginning to make the field visible to regex.
			set testLength to 10
			tell (CSVString's |length|()) to if (it < testLength) then set testLength to it
			if ((CSVString's rangeOfString:(fieldSeparator & "|\\R") options:(regexSearch) range:({0, testLength}))'s location is 0) then tell CSVString to insertString:(fieldSeparator) atIndex:(0)

-- Get all matches for a regex having capture groups for the field separator, record separator, or text start before each field and for the field itself.
			if (trimming) then
				set fieldPattern to "(" & fieldSeparator & "|\\R|\\A) *+(\"(?:[^\"]|\"\")*+\"|(?:[^ [:cntrl:]" & fieldSeparator & "]| *+(?!" & fieldSeparator & "|\\R|\\Z))*+) *+"
			else
				set fieldPattern to "(" & fieldSeparator & "|\\R|\\A)(\"(?:[^\"]|\"\")*+\"|[^[:cntrl:]" & fieldSeparator & "]*+)"
			end if
			set fieldRegex to (|⌘|'s class "NSRegularExpression"'s regularExpressionWithPattern:(fieldPattern) options:(0) |error|:(missing value))
			set CSVRange to {0, CSVString's |length|()}
			set fieldMatches to fieldRegex's matchesInString:(CSVString) options:(0) range:(CSVRange)

-- Find out the number of fields per record by counting the matches before the first whose capture group 1 represents a line break.
			set fieldsPerRecord to (count fieldMatches) -- (In case there's only one record.)
			set counter to 0
			repeat with thisMatch in fieldMatches
				set group1Range to (thisMatch's rangeAtIndex:(1))
				if ((CSVString's rangeOfString:("\\R") options:(regexSearch) range:(group1Range)) is group1Range) then
					set fieldsPerRecord to counter
					exit repeat
				end if
				set counter to counter + 1
			end repeat

-- Replace every match with character id 1 and the field value.
			tell fieldRegex to replaceMatchesInString:(CSVString) options:(0) range:(CSVRange) withTemplate:((character id 1) & "$2")
			-- Delete all field-enclosing double-quotes.
			tell CSVString to replaceOccurrencesOfString:("(?<=\\u0001)\"|\"(?=\\u0001)") withString:("") options:(regexSearch) range:({0, its |length|()})
			-- Delete all double-quote-escaping double-quotes.
			tell CSVString to replaceOccurrencesOfString:("\"\"") withString:("\"") options:(0) range:({0, its |length|()})
			-- Get an AS list of the field values as AS texts.
			set allFields to (CSVString's componentsSeparatedByString:(character id 1)) as list
			-- Transfer the values to the output list in lists of a record's worth at a time.
			repeat with i from 2 to (count allFields) by fieldsPerRecord
				set end of my output to my allFields's items i thru (i + fieldsPerRecord - 1)
			end repeat

return output
		end CSVToList
	end script

return o's CSVToList()
end CSVToList

I came across your post and tried the handler. Works great but I’m having difficulty wth the list in than every item is wrapped in {}. I was expecting something like “barrie”, “next item”, etc, buy I’m getting {“barrie”}, {“next item”}. How to I remove the {}?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi rpaulpen. Welcome to MacScripter and thanks for your interest in my script.

The script’s purpose is to return nested AppleScript lists (equivalent to arrays in other languages) from CSV text. So if the text is something like …

[format]“Barrie,next item,another item
Fred,yet another item,etc.”[/format]

… the script will return the AppleScript stucture …

{{"Barrie", "next item", "another item"}, {"Fred", "yet another item", "etc."}}

… where each sublist corresponds to a row in the text and each item in a sublist is the value of a field in that row.

Not all CSV files out there use commas to delimit fields or conform to the convention that trailing and leading spaces in fields are included the field values, so the script has a second parameter in which a different separator and/or space trimming can be specified if required.

Obviously, without knowing what’s in your CSV text, I’m not able to comment on the results you’re getting. But if you could post two or three lines of it (without giving away any sensitive information), I’d be happy to take a look.

Hi NG, thanks for the quick reply.

Here is the info:

Hi rpaulpen.

Your text gives me the same result. The culprit is the first line, which only has one field while all the others have two. The script assumes the same number of fields in every line (see the comments at the top) and uses the first line to determine how many fields/line that is. If the first line were “,barrie” or “barrie,” (ie. beginning or ending with a comma), there’d be the same number of fields in every line …

… and the script result would return the correct result:

{{"", "barrie"}, {"Email", "URL"}, {"youremail.com", " http://www.yourwebsite.com"}, {"youremail2.com", " http://www.yourwebsite.com"}, {"youremail3.com", " http://www.yourwebsite.com"}}

It’s kinda basic to what the script’s about and how it works. Does your spreadsheet really export with varying field counts?

Hi NG,

Thanks very much, that seems to be the issue. I can export without the title which will be fine.

I really appreciate all the help!

RP