How to: Cleaning out solitary plist & app support files

I want to create an applescript that helps me to delete old plist & application support files from previously deleted applications in the Library/Preferences folder.

Can I do this with applescript? If so, what do you recommend to try and do this?

There are plenty of solitary plist and application files that are just sitting on my hard drive from long previously deleted applications and it may affect my performance. I would like to get rid of them.

Thank you to anyone who answers this. Also, I am new to using AppleScript.

Model: 13" Macbook Pro Early 2011
AppleScript: 2.7
Browser: Firefox 67.0
Operating System: macOS 10.13

Not so you notice it, it won’t.

I wasn’t referring to my own physical performance. I was referring to my computer. If you can point me in the right direction, since I have not seen other applescripts that focus on cleaning out old application plist and support files, I would greatly appreciate constructive advice you can give to help with this.

I apologize for not making that clear.

Yes, I assumed that’s what you meant, but my point still stands. Having large numbers of files in folders may cause a bit of a slow-down when looking at them in the Finder, but otherwise you have to get to extremely large numbers to affect performance. In these cases, there’s rarely much need to look at them in the Finder anyway.

I suspect that’s because it’s largely pointless, AppleScript is the wrong tool in terms of finding out what is and isn’t necessary, and the potential for losing stuff is not worth the risk.

Thank you for the more detailed explanation. I will not proceed any further with this idea then because of that risk.