Content Creation Date Folders

Hi All!

I am very new to scripting and wanted to create a script to take a set of images and put them in separate folders based off of their date. I searched around and found the following script that works exactly how I need it to. The only problem is that it puts them in folders based on the CREATION date not the CONTENT creation date or actual date of capture. The images go to a separate outside retoucher and when she sends me back the images and I download them the creation date changes to the current date and I need the folders to be the actual capture date.

on run {input, parameters} -- create folders and move

(*

make new folders from file creation dates (if needed), then move document files into their respective new folders

if no container is specified (missing value), the new folder will be created in the containing folder of the item

if the container is not a valid path (and not missing value), one will be asked for

input: a list of Finder items (aliases) to move

output: a list of the Finder items (aliases) moved

*)

set output to {}

set SkippedItems to {} -- this will be a list of skipped items (errors)

set TheContainer to "" -- a Finder path to a destination folder, or missing value for the source folder

if TheContainer is not missing value then try -- check the destination path

TheContainer as alias

on error

set TheContainer to (choose folder with prompt "Where do you want to move the items?")

end try

tell application "Finder" to repeat with AnItem in the input -- step through each item in the input

if TheContainer is not missing value then -- move to the specified folder

set {class:TheClass, name:TheName, name extension:TheExtension} to item AnItem

else -- move to the source folder

set {class:TheClass, name:TheName, name extension:TheExtension, container:TheContainer} to item AnItem

end if

if TheClass is document file then try -- just documents

set TheDate to text 1 thru 10 of (creation date of AnItem as «class isot» as string) -- YY_MM_DD

try -- check if the target folder exists

get ("" & TheContainer & TheDate) as alias

on error -- make a new folder

make new folder at TheContainer with properties {name:TheDate}

end try

-- duplicate AnItem to the result

move AnItem to the result

set the end of output to (result as alias) -- the new file alias

on error -- permissions, etc

-- set the end of SkippedItems to (AnItem as text) -- the full path

set the end of SkippedItems to TheName -- just the name

end try

end repeat

ShowSkippedAlert for SkippedItems

return the output -- pass the result(s) to the next action

end run

to ShowSkippedAlert for SkippedItems

(*

show an alert dialog for any items skipped, with the option to cancel the workflow

parameters - SkippedItems [list]: the items skipped

returns nothing

*)

if SkippedItems is not {} then

set {AlertText, TheCount} to {"Error with AppleScript action", count SkippedItems}

if TheCount is greater than 1 then

set theMessage to (TheCount as text) & space & " items were skipped:"

else

set theMessage to "1 " & " item was skipped:"

end if

set {TempTID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, return}

set {SkippedItems, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {SkippedItems as text, TempTID}

end if

return

end ShowSkippedAlert

I understand this is a little more difficult because you have to look at the metadata of the image but if anyone can help I would be more than appreciative! Also if you have anymore questions or need anymore information just let me know.

Thank you so much!
Shanna