Post disappearing.

For some reason the post https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=47202 has disappeared. I was writing a special note to thanks those who helped me out. I’ve clicked on submit and the post became blank.

Why would an entire post disappear ?

When going to this post it’s all blanks, I can repost the final solution. Thanks!

Daniel

Hi Daniel.

Sorry your topic’s disappeared! It happens sometimes. I don’t know why. I don’t think you can have accidentally deleted the first post (which would take down the entire topic) as you’d get a message asking you to confirm you wanted to do that, and I think the link would disappear from the topic index too. The problem must be some error at the MacScripter end. :confused:

I’ll let Mark know this has happened, but I don’t think he’ll be able to do much about it. I hope you were able to save the information you needed while it was still there. :expressionless:

Hi, Nigel, and Daniel. I also noticed that some posts are disappearing. And this usually happens with successful solutions (without third-party apps involved), that are not published anywhere else on the network. Therefore, I propose restricting access to the “Delete” button after 1 hour. Like on most other sites. And, second: the titles of posts is better be edited by moderator to match the content of first post clearly.

Each successful solution proposed in the forums should become the ownership of society, not an individual. Anyone who does not like this should choose some other site from those that I and many others try not to visit at all.

In addition, the disappearance of a post can be a good indicator that a user’s mail account has been hacked, and someone other knows password of user on MacScripter.net.

Thanks for your comments.

Indeed I had been able to make a copy of the working solution before it disappeared.

I am more concern on allowing others to have access to such a good script where StefanK and Shane Stanley help me out.

If needed I could post the final solution.

Best regards!

Daniel

Hi Daniel.

I’m glad you still have your working script and didn’t have to start all over again! If you think it would be useful to others, I’m sure it would be appreciated if you posted it, perhaps briefly outlining the problem you were originally having with it and definitely mentioning the people who helped you fix it. :slight_smile:

Hi KniazidisR.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not personally in favour of restricting people’s ability to delete or edit their own posts at any time, but I agree it shouldn’t be possible to take down an entire thread if there’ve been any replies. I’m not aware of anyone doing it deliberately here, but it’s disgraceful if they have been. As you say, the discussions and solutions here are for the benefit of everyone, not just the original posters. You’ve reminded me of an occasion a few years ago when an OP asked me to delete my post containing the script I’d fixed for him because his company was considered to own the copyright! (I refused to delete it and as far as I know, it’s still on the site somewhere.)

I’ve not checked to see if I actually have the power to edit the subject lines of other people’s posts. I do officially have privileges on the site enabling me to moderate topics in various ways, but they don’t all work! For instance, I have to ask Mark to move topics if I think they’re in the wrong forum. I don’t necessarily read all the posts on the site and I’m loathe interfere unless I consider it absolutely necessary.

Thanks NG.

I’ve reposted it under https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=47210

Thanks!