error -10810

Hello

This morning I applied the late Security update dedicated to 10.13.6.

Since I’m facing two oddities:

(1) not related to Applescript but I describe it assuming that it may be some link with the 2nd one.
When I click upon the menu item :  > System Preferences, it doesn’t open the named pane.
I created a Symlink pointing upon the app System Preferences.app and retrieved an easy access to it.

(2) Tested with Apple Script Editor and with Script Debugger, this very simple script :

tell application "TextEdit"
	activate
end tell

issue the error : error “Une erreur de type -10810 est survenue.” number -10810
Same behavior with:

tell application id "com.apple.TextEdit"
	activate
end tell

Happily, it seems that only TextEdit behaves this way.

Has one of you an idea to get rid of this annoying feature ?

Looking in Activity Monitor, I saw 11 processes named mdworker whose user is myself.
I don’t remember if I had so many processes with that name and don’t know if they are useful ones.

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 25 mars 2020 16:28:50

Bingo.

Don’t ask why but without any particular action, the problem (2) disappeared but problem (1) continue to strike.
I cross my fingers.

Fingers crossed were inefficient.
The script fails again.

Now, it’s more annoying.
the instruction

set thePath to path to application id "com.apple.iWork.Numbers"

issue also the infamous error “Une erreur de type -10810 est survenue.” number -10810

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 25 mars 2020 18:40:29

That’s the process that does Spotlight indexing. It’s normal to see a lot of instances after any kind of upgrade.

Thank you Shane.
Alas it doesn’t solve the problem which become worse and worse.

Now, asking a script to activate an application (every one) brings the error -10810.

I will be forced to copy my recent works upon an external device,
use Carbon Copy Cloner to reset the ‘old’ system
move back the saved recent files.

Is the problem of  > System Preferences… inactive striking upon Catalina ?

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 26 mars 2020 10:22:07

Not here.

Thank you Shane.

I’m returning to the ‘old’ system which behave flawlessly on my clone.

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 26 mars 2020 12:36:49

Good news.

It was an Apple’s oddity.
The Security Update for 10.13.6 is no longer proposed.

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 26 mars 2020 14:57:22