Get files but not folders

I can get the files but not folders in a folder with the script included below but it identifies folders as not having a file extension. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set sourceFolder to POSIX path of (choose folder)

getFiles(sourceFolder)

on getFiles(sourceFolder)
	set fileManager to current application's NSFileManager's defaultManager()
	set theFolder to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:sourceFolder
	set folderContents to fileManager's contentsOfDirectoryAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{} options:(current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsHiddenFiles) |error|:(missing value)
	set thePred to current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat:"pathExtension != ''"
	set theFiles to folderContents's filteredArrayUsingPredicate:thePred
	return theFiles as list
end getFiles

You have to loop through and use resource keys for each URL. Here’s a relevant snippet:

set {theResult, theValue, theError} to (aURL's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:NSURLIsDirectoryKey |error|:(reference))
		if theValue as boolean then -- is it a package?
			set {theResult, theValue, theError} to (aURL's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:NSURLIsPackageKey |error|:(reference))
			if theValue as boolean then

Thanks Shane. I appreciate the help.

My final handler, which returns files but not folders, hidden files, or packages:

on getFiles(theFolder) -- theFolder is a URL, file, or alias
	set fileManager to current application's NSFileManager's new()
	set directoryKey to current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey
	set hiddenFileOption to current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsHiddenFiles as integer
	set packageOption to current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsPackageDescendants
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{directoryKey} options:(hiddenFileOption + packageOption) errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
	set theFiles to {}
	repeat with anItem in folderContents
		set {theResult, isDirectory} to (anItem's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:(directoryKey) |error|:(missing value))
		if not isDirectory as boolean then set end of theFiles to anItem as alias
	end repeat
	return theFiles -- a list of aliases
end getFiles

In post 5 of the thread linked below, I tested two scripts that got the POSIX paths of all files with a particular extension in a test folder, which contained 380 files in 100 folders. The timing results were 0.020 second, give or take.

I just tested my script from post 3 above on the same folder and it took 0.692 second. However, if I comment out the repeat loop and coerce folderContents to a list, the timing result is 0.032 second. So, I had to wonder if there’s a way to do what I want but without the time-consuming repeat loop. Thanks for the help.

https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=48377

Thanks Fredrik71.

Fredrik71. Thanks for your comments. My goal is to get the path to every file in one folder that contains 380 files within 99 subfolders. For me, this is a fairly realistic use scenario. My existing script takes 0.692 second, which is usable, but I’d like to improve that number if possible.

The following revised script reduces the timing result to 0.437 second. I thought a script object might further speed matters but that wasn’t the case. The repeat loop remains the issue time-wise, and I’ll continue to work on that.

use scripting additions

on getFiles(theFolder)
	set theFolder to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:theFolder
	set enumKey to current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey
	set enumOptions to (current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsPackageDescendants as integer) + (current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsHiddenFiles as integer)
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{enumKey} options:enumOptions errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
	set posixFolderContents to folderContents's |path| as list

repeat with i from 1 to (count posixFolderContents)
		set {theResult, isDirectory} to ((item i of folderContents)'s getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:(enumKey) |error|:(missing value))
		if isDirectory then set (item i of posixFolderContents) to missing value
	end repeat
	return text of posixFolderContents
end getFiles

set theFolder to POSIX path of (choose folder)
set theFiles to getFiles(theFolder)

Very fast script, Peavine, thanks to your missing value idea. :slight_smile: As far as I know, there is no way to avoid a repeat loop with resource keys. But we can work directly with the entire contents array. That is we can avoid creating additional array.

In addition, a speed improvement of about 1.8 times can be achieved by explicitly telling the interpreter that a boolean value is expected from isDirectory. Like this:

use scripting additions

on getFiles(theFolder)
	set enumKey to current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey
	set enumOptions to (current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsPackageDescendants as integer) + (current application's NSDirectoryEnumerationSkipsHiddenFiles as integer)
	set entireContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{enumKey} options:enumOptions errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
	repeat with anItem in entireContents
		set {theResult, isDirectory} to (anItem's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:(enumKey) |error|:(missing value))
		if true = isDirectory then set contents of anItem to {}
	end repeat
	return text of (entireContents's |path| as list)
end getFiles

set theFolder to POSIX path of (path to movies folder)

KniazidisR. Thanks for looking at my script. It’s very helpful to have confirmation that the repeat loop is necessary with the resource key.

I changed the path but otherwise ran your script exactly as written, and it returned both files and folders. I changed the first line below to the second line below and the script worked as expected

if true = isDirectory then set contents of anItem to {}
if true = isDirectory as boolean then set contents of anItem to {}

I timed your script with the first line above and the result was 0.290 second. However, after changing the script to the second line above, the result was 0.464 second, which is comparable to my script in post 8. Your script is cleaner, though, and is the one I will use.

Nigel made a suggestion in another thread (see link below) that was easily revised to accomplish the stated goal of this thread.

-- revised 2022.06.23

use scripting additions

on getFiles(theFolder)
	set theKeys to {current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey, current application's NSURLIsPackageKey}
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:theKeys options:6 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()

set theFolders to current application's NSMutableArray's new()
		set {theResult, isDirectory} to (anItem's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:(current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey) |error|:(missing value))
		if isDirectory as boolean is true then
			set {theResult, isPackage} to (anItem's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:(current application's NSURLIsPackageKey) |error|:(missing value))
			if isPackage as boolean is false then (theFolders's addObject:anItem)
		end if
	end repeat
	-- return theFolders -- return folders only

set folderContents to folderContents's mutableCopy()
	folderContents's removeObjectsInArray:theFolders
	return folderContents
end getFiles

The earlier thread mentioned above is:

https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=48622

When getting folders or files, I’ve been using the script in post 11. The following script–which is based on a script written by Shane–is faster in my testing:

approach - files/folders - milliseconds - files/folders - seconds
old - 436/115 - 86 - 13852/3361 - 2.701
new - 436/115 - 64 - 13852/3361 - 1.932
Finder - 436/115 - 848 - 13852/3361 - 27.8

It should be noted that this script returns an array of paths, which can be coerced to a list of paths, and that the script in post 11 returns an array of URLs, which can be coerced to a list of files.

-- revised: 2022.06.23

use scripting additions

on getFiles(theFolder)
	set theKeys to {current application's NSURLPathKey, current application's NSURLIsPackageKey, current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey}
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:theKeys options:6 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()

(theFolders's addObject:(anItem's resourceValuesForKeys:theKeys |error|:(missing value)))
	end repeat
	set thePredicate to current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat_("%K == YES AND %K == NO", current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey, current application's NSURLIsPackageKey)
	set theFolders to theFolders's filteredArrayUsingPredicate:thePredicate
	set theFolders to (theFolders's valueForKey:(current application's NSURLPathKey))
	-- return theFolders -- return folders only

set folderContents to (folderContents's valueForKey:"path")'s mutableCopy()
	folderContents's removeObjectsInArray:theFolders
	return folderContents
end getFiles

If you don’t mind using Script Librarys:

use script "filemanagerlib"

set theFolders to objects of theFolder ¬
	searching subfolders true ¬
	include invisible items false ¬
	include folders true ¬
	include files false ¬
	result type urls array

The following script uses metadata to identify folders. It appears to work correctly but is slow compared with my scripts in post 11 and 12.

use scripting additions

on getFiles(theFolder)
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{} options:6 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()

set mdItem to (current application's NSMetadataItem's alloc()'s initWithURL:anItem)
		set itemKind to (mdItem's valueForAttribute:"kMDItemKind")
		if (itemKind's isEqual:"Folder") then (theFolders's addObject:anItem)
	end repeat

set theFiles to folderContents's mutableCopy()
	theFiles's removeObjectsInArray:theFolders
	return theFiles
end getFiles

This script also uses metadata to identify folders. With my small and large test folders, the results were 57 milliseconds and 1.427 seconds. This compares favorably with the script in post 12, which took 64 milliseconds and 1.932 seconds.

Just in general, it seems best to use the approach utilized by the scripts in posts 11 and 12. However, the following script can be utilized to get all sorts of metadata that is not otherwise readily available, and it is useful for that purpose.

It should be noted that this script is a minor rewrite of a section of Shane’s Metadata Lib script library. This library performs many useful tasks and should be used in most circumstances:

https://latenightsw.com/freeware/

use scripting additions

on getFiles(theFolder)
	set thePredicate to "kMDItemKind != 'Folder'"
	set thePredicate to current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat:thePredicate
	set theQuery to current application's NSMetadataQuery's new()
	theQuery's setSearchScopes:{theFolder}
	theQuery's setPredicate:thePredicate
	theQuery's startQuery()
	repeat while theQuery's isGathering() as boolean
		delay 0.01
	end repeat
	theQuery's stopQuery()
	set theCount to theQuery's resultCount()
	set theFiles to current application's NSMutableArray's array()
	repeat with i from 0 to (theCount - 1)
		set thePath to ((theQuery's resultAtIndex:i)'s valueForAttribute:"kMDItemPath")
		(theFiles's addObject:thePath)
	end repeat
	return theFiles
end getFiles