Is there any way to make Spotlight index .applescript files?

It is just me or spotlight does not search into .scpt files?
I do see the /Applications/Script Debugger.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SDImporter.mdimporter
But it is not present into: /Users/ldicroce/Library/Spotlight/

Should I manually copy it?
If that is the case, should I then re-build the all spotlight database?

Thanks
L.

There’s no need to move it. But it can only index files saved from Script Debugger (and not run-only). It relies on an extra copy of the source being saved asa file resource.

I only use SD. And very rarely I use Run-Only option. Yet if I trigger the System “Spotlight search” and search for (as example) a handler name (=recoverFirstDataStampFromLog), I don’t get any match.
Also, if I use the “Open Quickly” from SB, also no match.

Is this done automatically by SD? and where are stored?
I am asking since many of the scripts are shared among my 2 computers, either via DropBox or loaded on my Desktop (having “Desktop and Documents Folders” synch among the computers via iCloud).

Is there anything else I need to set in the Spotlight System Preference panel, or in SD Preferences?
Thanks!

PS: If I save the script as BBedit file, “Spotlight search” correctly identify the Bbedit file, but not the .scpt file.
My interpretation is that a newly generarte Bbedit file is properly indexed, but not any .scpt files

It’s saved automatically as a file resource. Unfortunately such resources aren’t synced by iCloud. (The format pre-dates iCloud – in fact, it pre-dates OS X.)

If the facility is important to you, consider using .scptd files instead.

Thanks Shane, I will explore the use of .scptd
… But at least on the same Mac (like today since I am at home), I should be able to use Spotlight search, and that it is not the case … it also fails on the laptop. Unless I am missing something.

How can I check if the resource data you mentioned are correctly associated/link/part of the .scpt file?
Thanks again.

PS2: I could move this discussion to the https://forum.latenightsw.com if you think it is better.
But I think that are many SD users here that might also benefit from this. Let me know.

Update: using .scptd works perfectly when new files are generated on my desktop. Does this means that the importer is not working for .scpt files ?

One potential issue is the existence of importers from older versions of SD. Do you have any older versions of SD installed? if so, you could try zipping and deleting them, and then forcing a re-index.

As @Shane Stanley recommends, try to share the scripts between the two computers as a script bundle (that is, a script library). I currently do not have the opportunity to test myself, but it is quite possible that you will also need to remove the quarantine from the script library from an unknown to Apple developer.

set userScriptLibraries to alias ("" & (path to library folder from user domain) & "Script Libraries")
set userScriptLibrary to choose file of type "scptd" default location userScriptLibraries

set appPosixPath to POSIX path of userScriptLibrary
set quotedPath to quoted form of appPosixPath
do shell script "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine " & quotedPath with administrator privileges

I remove the SD 7 the same day I installed the v8.
It is a pity not tone able to use such powerful tool.

Thanks R.
But the problem is with all scripts. Meaning that none of script is indexed, including the new generated ones. If I use “scptd” then it works.
If I make. anew text or PDF file (using the content the AS code), then it is indexes.

Delete also the folder Script Debugger 7 inside the Application Support folder.

Also gone since long time …
I guess I am the only one that does not get scpt files indexed … frustrating

I have both .applescript and .scpt files indexed. :frowning:
I have not any excluded disk in the Spotlight search preferences. Also, I have not folder /home/user/Library/Spotlight

I had another problem - when I first started SD 8. I needed to give it full control of the computer. There, in the security settings, there was already an entry from SD 7. To solve the problem, I uninstalled both SD 7 and SD 8, deleted the old entry from the security settings, installed SD 8 back. Only after that did I manage to give SD 8 full control of the computer. Before that, the SD 7 record apparently interfered.

Thanks.
I will try to uninstall/reinstall SD8. I do not have any traces go SD7. Maybe this will solve the problem.
Although, I still doubt it since scptd files are properly indexed, meaning the the importer in working as expected.
Indeed if I do in the terminal: mdimport -L
I do see in the list:
“/Applications/Script Debugger.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SDImporter.mdimporter”

Even more strange is the fact that this append on both my MacBook Pro 2021, and iMac 2019.

Thanks again!

L.

PS: can I ask you to provide me with the output of:
mdimport -t -d3 path/to_AS_generatedByScriptDebugger.scpt

Below is what I get:

mdimport -t -d3 /Users/ldicroce/Desktop/test.scpt
Imported ‘/Users/ldicroce/Desktop/test.scpt’ of type ‘com.apple.applescript.script’ with plugIn /Applications/Script Debugger.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SDImporter.mdimporter.
30 attributes returned
{
“:EA:_kMDItemUserTags” = (
);
“:EA:kMDItemLastUsedDate” = “2021-09-21 14:51:59 +0000”;
“:MD:DeviceId” = 16777223;
“:MD:kMDItemPath” = “/Users/ldicroce/Desktop/test.scpt”;
“:PR:kMDItemUserCreatedDate” = (
“2021-09-21 08:49:22 +0000”
);
“:PR:kMDItemUserCreatedUserHandle” = (
);
“_kMDItemContentChangeDate” = “2021-09-21 08:49:22 +0000”;
“_kMDItemCreationDate” = “2021-09-21 08:49:22 +0000”;
“_kMDItemCreatorCode” = 1634944066;
“_kMDItemDisplayNameWithExtensions” = {
“” = “test.scpt”;
};
“_kMDItemFileName” = “test.scpt”;
“_kMDItemFinderFlags” = 0;
“_kMDItemFinderLabel” = 0;
“_kMDItemFromImporter” = 1;
“_kMDItemIsExtensionHidden” = 0;
“_kMDItemIsFromImporter” = 1;
“_kMDItemOwnerGroupID” = 20;
“_kMDItemOwnerUserID” = 501;
“_kMDItemTypeCode” = 1869832563;
“com_apple_metadata_modtime” = “653906962.8787711”;
kMDItemContentCreationDate = “2021-09-21 08:49:22 +0000”;
kMDItemContentModificationDate = “2021-09-21 08:49:22 +0000”;
kMDItemContentType = “com.apple.applescript.script”;
kMDItemContentTypeTree = (
“com.apple.applescript.script”,
“public.data”,
“public.item”,
“public.script”,
“public.source-code”,
“public.plain-text”,
“public.text”,
“public.content”
);
kMDItemDateAdded = “2021-09-21 08:49:22 +0000”;
kMDItemDisplayName = {
“” = “test.scpt”;
};
kMDItemDocumentIdentifier = 24242;
kMDItemKind = {
“” = script;
Base = script;
ar = “\U0628\U0631\U0646\U0627\U0645\U062c \U0646\U0635\U064a”;
ca = Script;
cs = Skript;
da = Instruks;
de = Skript;
el = “\U03a3\U03ba\U03c1\U03b9\U03c0\U03c4”;
en = Script;
“en_AU” = Script;
“en_GB” = Script;
es = Script;
“es_419” = Script;
fi = Skripti;
fr = Script;
“fr_CA” = Script;
he = “\U05ea\U05e1\U05e8\U05d9\U05d8”;
hi = “\U0938\U094d\U0915\U094d\U0930\U093f\U092a\U094d\U091f”;
hr = Skripta;
hu = Szkript;
id = Skrip;
it = Script;
ja = “\U30b9\U30af\U30ea\U30d7\U30c8”;
ko = “\Uc2a4\Ud06c\Ub9bd\Ud2b8”;
ms = Skrip;
nl = Script;
no = Prosedyre;
pl = skrypt;
pt = Script;
“pt_PT” = Script;
ro = Script;
ru = “\U0421\U043a\U0440\U0438\U043f\U0442”;
sk = Skript;
sv = Skript;
th = “\U0e2a\U0e04\U0e23\U0e34\U0e1b\U0e15\U0e4c”;
tr = Betik;
uk = “\U0421\U043a\U0440\U0438\U043f\U0442”;
vi = “T\U1eadp l\U1ec7nh”;
“zh_CN” = “\U811a\U672c”;
“zh_HK” = “\U7a0b\U5f0f\U78bc”;
“zh_TW” = “\U5de5\U5e8f\U6307\U4ee4”;
};
kMDItemLogicalSize = 5283;
kMDItemPhysicalSize = 12288;
}

Have you checked to see if there’s a copy of the importer in /Library/Spotlight/ ?

Any other third-party importers?

There was EndNote importer
/Users/ldicroce/Library/Spotlight/EndNote.mdimporter
So I tried adding SDImporter into the Library, then restarting, didn’t worked.
The I deleted the all contents (leaving the folder empty), then restarting, also didn’t worked.
The I add only SDImporter, then restarting, same result.

When I make this set of files on my desktop:
TestBBedit.txt
Test.scpt
Test.applescript
TestAsBoundle.scptd

all containing the same simple code:

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
runThisScriptLux()

on runThisScriptLux()
	beep
end runThisScriptLux

and I search for “runThisScriptLux” using Spotlight, I retrive all of then except the the scpt version (“Test.scpt”)

I wonder if:

1. the indexing of scptd files uses a different tools than scpt? Since indexing scptd works without any problem without any delay …
  2. Should I try to copy the SDimporter into the:
    /System/Library/Spotlight rather than at user level?
    Thanks Shane for your help !

Yes it does – it uses the contents of the Script Debugger.plist file in the package, whereas .scpt files rely on the resource fork.

No, it shouldn’t make any difference.

I feel your pain, but the Spotlight system is really opaque from a developer’s point of view, so problem solving is very difficult. Email me a .zip file containing a .scpt file, so I can check the resource is being saved OK.

One other question, Luciano: if you choose Get Info on a .scpt file in the Finder, does it show file’s source?

I am sending the zip script right now
Image form Get Info attached of all three types (.scpt, .scptd, .applescript)
Thanks !

https://i.ibb.co/hRbZqdj/GetInfo.png

L

The fact that the source is visible in Get Info shows that the resource is being saved (Spotlight uses the same data). You can also see it using xattr -l. I’m not sure why the importer isn’t working for you, though.

(I have to say I’ve always found searching on content flakey, though.)

Thanks! Last question (I promise):
which would be the disadvantage(s) of saving the scripts as .AppleScript or as .scptd (since those format are properly indexed)?