Is Xcode the only way to create a more complex user interface?

Hi,
I have a number of Applescripts that prompt the user with a series of dialogs in order to obtain the user requirements. A single dialog/window would be preferable, so after some googling and watching youtube videos I downloaded Xcode version 13.0.

I should state that I am out of my depth with Xcode and I spent a long time failing to get a simple “hello world” application to work. The stumbling point is with the visual linking of a control on a window with a property in the Apple Script code. This should be a simple drag and drop but it does not work. I have now learned that this is due to a bug in Xcode v13 and that perhaps version 12.5.1 does work. However, this is a two hour ten Gbyte download and I am not sure I want to use Xcode. I have also learned that Applescript is not much use for more complex multi window applications owing to poor memory management.

I would appreciate any thoughts on alternatives to both creating a user interface and other programming tools. At the moment I use Livecode but now I am retired I am unsure that I can justify the cost if there are viable alternatives.

best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon, On this page you’ll find Dialog Toolkit Plus, which does exactly what you’re asking and more.

https://latenightsw.com/freeware/

It has plenty of sample scripts to go along with it.

It’s developed by Shane Stanley, and he’s very good about responding to questions here at macScripter and here Late Night Software Ltd.

Dialog Toolkit Plus v1.1.2

Dialog Toolkit Plus is an ASObjC-based script library for showing enhanced dialogs. Add multiple text entry fields, checkboxes, popup menus, radio buttons, path controls, extra buttons, secure fields, images, and rules to dialogs. It requires macOS 10.10 or later.

Hello,

Very good advice has already been given to you. If you don’t have the desire or time to learn AsObjC, then this is the best choice. Also, you can build the interface using AsObjC yourself. On the following site you will find many practical examples of how to do this without xCode: AsObjC examples

Thanks for the advice, I will investigate the links. I have been put off AsObjC as I believe that means using Xcode and am frustrated that the present version appears to have bugs.

That’s not so. You can use AppleScriptObjC outside Xcode.