NSAppleEventDescriptor Error Message

A few days ago, I posted the script included below in the Mac OS X forum. The script works as expected as long as the value of theFileName variable fits the specified dot pattern; when it doesn’t an NSAppleEventDescriptor is returned. I spent some time with Google and the documentation but this is beyond my current level of understanding. How do I get the script to return an error in a usable format when the script is unable to work correctly. Thanks for the help.

The script is:

use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set theFileName to "tv.show.title.S01e02.misc.garbage.characters.mkv" --> works OK
set theFileName to "aa.bb" --> returns NSAppleEventDescriptor

set newFileName to getFileName(theFileName)

on getFileName(theString)
	set theString to current application's NSString's stringWithString:theString
	set arrayOne to (theString's componentsSeparatedByString:".")
	set arrayTwo to arrayOne's valueForKey:"capitalizedString"
	return (current application's NSString's stringWithFormat_("%@ %@ %@ %@.%@", item 1 of arrayTwo, item 2 of arrayTwo, item 3 of arrayTwo, item 4 of arrayTwo, item -1 of arrayOne) as text)
end getFileName

The returned NSAppleEventDescriptor is:

Just a guess here, but it could be because your accessing a number of elements in the array that don’t exist.

In this line here, your trying to access five elements in the array.

return (current application's NSString's stringWithFormat_("%@ %@ %@ %@.%@", item 1 of arrayTwo, item 2 of arrayTwo, item 3 of arrayTwo, item 4 of arrayTwo, item -1 of arrayOne) as text)

But this line here will only give you two elements, when converted into an array separated by “.” character.

set theFileName to "aa.bb" --> returns NSAppleEventDescriptor

Maybe check the number of elements first, before trying to access them.

Regards Mark

Mark is right, the array must contain at least 5 items to work correctly.

This version counts the number of items. The last object is the file extension and if there are more than 5 items only the first 5 items are considered

on getFileName(theString)
	set theString to current application's NSString's stringWithString:theString
	set arrayOne to (theString's componentsSeparatedByString:".")
	set arrayTwo to arrayOne's valueForKey:"capitalizedString"
	set fileExtension to arrayOne's lastObject() as text
	set arrayLength to arrayTwo's |count|() as integer
	if arrayLength > 4 then
		set maxLength to 4
	else
		set maxLength to arrayLength - 1
	end if
	set indexSet to current application's NSIndexSet's indexSetWithIndexesInRange:{0, maxLength}
	set subArray to arrayTwo's objectsAtIndexes:indexSet
	return ((subArray's componentsJoinedByString:" ") as text) & "." & fileExtension
end getFileName

Thanks Mark, Stefan, and Fredrik71 for the great ideas. I had my mind fixed on getting an error result from NSAppleEventDescriptor and completely missed simple and effective ways of doing what I wanted.

Also want to note the your arrayTwo is a NSArray and not a list.
So I’m not sure how requesting “item x of” works with a NSArray?

Also NSArray works with zero based start indexing where as a list is one.
You definitely want to use objectAtIndex:

Thanks technomorph for responding to my post. I have modified my original script to delete “item x of” and to use objectAtIndex instead.

Just as an aside, it’s probably not technically correct but “item x of” does seem to work:

use framework "Foundation"

set theArray to current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:{"a", "b"}
item 1 of theArray --> (NSString) "a" 

The following is from Shane’s book and–while the situations are not directly analogous–the thought occurred to me that perhaps “item x of” works with an array for a similar reason that the AppleScript count command works with an array.

I ran a quick timing test with Script Debugger, and “item x of” is marginally faster than objectAtIndex in my script. The concern remains, however, that the use of “item x of” may cause the script to break at some future point.

I also may have happened upon a possible answer as to why the script returns an NSAppleEventDescriptor. The following is from Shane’s book:

My guess is that the array is converted “under the hood” to a list, but items 3 and 4 of the newly-created list cannot be converted to an NSString. So these items are instead stored as NSAppleEventDescriptors.

This is where regular expressions are hand
You can build a RegEx that can have options IE
A space or . Before a S0
Etc