Determining path to Application without using Path To command

I want determine path to applications without using path to command, because it launches the applications, and I want avoid this behaviour.

I found on the net 1 solution, but it is really slow. And I can’t understand why:

posixPathTo("TextEdit.app") of me

on posixPathTo(appName)
	set launchServicesPath to "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister"
	-- get the path to all executables in the Launch Service Registry that contain that appName
	set appPaths to paragraphs of (do shell script launchServicesPath & " -dump | grep --only-matching \"/.*\\" & appName & "\"")
	return appPaths
end posixPathTo

Update:

I found very faster solution, but maybe someone still has better suggestion:

my posixPathTo:"Image Events"

on posixPathTo:appName
	set bundleID to id of application appName
	tell application "Finder" to return POSIX path of (application file id bundleID as alias)
end posixPathTo:

I was interested as well if this solution will return Posix path for slightly renamed copy of app, but it returns posix path to original application:

my posixPathTo:"Atom copy"

tell application "Finder" to return POSIX path of (application file id bundleID as alias)
end posixPathTo:

--> /Applications/Atom.app/ <-- SHOULD BE /Applications/Atom copy.app/ instead

KniazidisR. I had both of the following in my notebook. The first is deprecated but works in my testing. Both take a millisecond or less to run.

use framework "Foundation"
use framework "AppKit"

set theWorkspace to current application's NSWorkspace's sharedWorkspace()
set thePath to (theWorkspace's fullPathForApplication:"TextEdit") as text
--> "/System/Applications/TextEdit.app"

--OR--

set bundleID to id of application "System Events"
set thePath to ((theWorkspace's URLForApplicationWithBundleIdentifier:bundleID)'s |path|()) as text
--> "/System/Library/CoreServices/System Events.app"

Update to post #2:

As I checked, the script returns proper Posix path after verifying of slightly renamed application copy.

It seems to me, this is why path to command of Standard Additions firstly opens the application. That is, to be able to verify it in the case it is not verified by system.

Maybe, I am wrong, and launching the applications is due to the bad path to command design.

Thank you, @peavine, for this. Your suggestion is ultra fast and useful. I will use it in the future:

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

my posixPathTo:"Atom copy"
--> "/Applications/Atom copy.app"

set thePath to ((theWorkspace's URLForApplicationWithBundleIdentifier:bundleID)'s |path|()) as text
end posixPathTo:

This previous post has a routine that returns more info

https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=47903

Here is a more detailed but shortened version of the script in the link above

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

my appInfo:"TextEdit.app"

on appInfo:appName
	local bundleIdentifier, currInfoPlistDictionary, currIsRunning, currProcessID
	--, bundleURL, posixPath, hfsPath, appName, executableName, versionString, isAppleScriptEnabled, allowsUserInteraction, isBackgroundOnly, isRunning, processID, processIDs
	set currPOSIXPath to ((theWorkspace's URLForApplicationWithBundleIdentifier:bundleID)'s |path|()) as text
	set currInfoPlistDictionary to (current application's NSDictionary's dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:(currPOSIXPath & "/Contents/Info.plist")) as record
	set {currProcessIDs, currProcessID} to {{}, missing value}
	tell ((current application's NSRunningApplication's runningApplicationsWithBundleIdentifier:bundleID) as list)
		repeat with currObj in it
			try
				set end of currProcessIDs to currObj's processIdentifier() as integer
			end try
		end repeat
		if currProcessIDs = {} then
			set currIsRunning to false
		else
			set {currIsRunning, currProcessID} to {true, currProcessIDs's last item} -- Save the newest running instance of the application in a separate return property from the property containing the full list of running application instances
		end if
	end tell

tell currInfoPlistDictionary to return {appName:its CFBundleName, executableName:its CFBundleExecutable, bundleIdentifier:its CFBundleIdentifier, posixPath:currPOSIXPath, hfsPath:currPOSIXPath as POSIX file as text, versionString:its CFBundleVersion, isAppleScriptEnabled:its NSAppleScriptEnabled, isRunning:currIsRunning, processID:currProcessID, processIDs:currProcessIDs}
end appInfo: