If error in handler, end script

This is a situation for which I can’t find a solution.

The results of a handler stored in a script library are picked up by another handler to continue the flow.
In the first handler an error occurs; at that moment I want the execution of the script to end.

I tried this way:

try
	handler1() -- an error occurs
on error
	return
end try
-- At this point I want the script to end.

handler2()

But that did not work; the script is not interrupted and the handler2 continues its execution causing a cascade of errors.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Refine your question. Are you running a simple script, or a stay-open application where handler 2 is on idle() handler?

Because only in the 2nd case what you described should happen.

Simple script example (which terminates fine) on the return code line:

try
on error
	return
end try

handler2() -- here it doesn't executed at all

on handler2()
	display dialog "The Script continue"
end handler2

on handler1()
	return 1 / 0 --> overflow error should occur here
end handler1

Stay-open script (should be tested as saved stay-open application). Doesn’t terminate on return code line:

try
on error
	return -- here need quit {} command instead
end try

on idle {}
	display dialog "The Script continue"
	return 5
end idle

on handler1()
	return 1 / 0 --> overflow error should occur here
end handler1

Thank you, KniazidisR for replying.

This is a simple script.

I have realized that using return does not make sense in this situation.

However, the problems still continue.

if (the clipboard) is "" then
	errorWindow()
	quit -- Message: The document cannot be closed while the script is running.
end if

searchClipWiki()

You did not understand me. The quit {} command (with brackets), should be used only in the case of a stay-open application. Since you have a regular script, then it does not belong here.

Also, it became even more incomprehensible, for example, where did the try block of the original question go and some kind of errorWindow() handler appeared. What does it even do.

You are right, KniazidisR, when you say that I misunderstood your answer.
The change I made in my previous comment was because the try… end try block did not seem to me to be part of the core of the issue I want to raise.

The errorWindow() handler was only intended to more clearly state the example of an error situation whereby I want the script to stop and not run the rest of the code (in this case, and as an example, the searchClipWiki() handler).

For that reason, I mistakenly used the “return” command with the intention of terminating the script.

In short, my question is to know how I can end the execution of a script at a certain point in time.

DJUNQUERA. You can end execution of a script by use of error number -128. Example 2 appears to be most similar to your situation, except that the handler is in a script library (which still causes the calling script to stop).

EXAMPLE 1

dialogHandler()
display alert "You don't see this" -- this dialog is not displayed

on dialogHandler()
	display alert "This is a test"
	error number -128 -- script exits at this point
end dialogHandler

EXAMPLE 2

try
	dialogHandler()
on error
	error number -128 -- script exits at this point
end try
display alert "You don't see this" -- this dialog is not displayed

on dialogHandler()
	display alert "This is a test"
	error -- create error
end dialogHandler

EXAMPLE 3

tell script "AS Utilities"
	testHandler() -- this handler contains error number -128
end tell
display dialog "You don't see this" -- this dialog is not displayed

Thank you very much, peavine :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Your solution works perfectly for the situation I’m interested in at the moment.

In addition, your examples are very interesting for a handler containing “error number -128”, because they allow its treatment by means of a tryend try block of the error and to channel which path to take, not being the only path the termination of the script .

I have located in “AppleScript Language Guide” 2 references to “error number -128”.
I will continue to study its use in other situations where it may also be of use to me.

Thank you very much again.