QuickTime Export Droplet

Hello - I’m new to the forums and would like to find an Applescript programmer to create a “droplet” for us.

The job:
We need a droplet that we can drag a folder of Quicktime movies on to, have the droplet open each movie, then do an Export to a specific format.

We would like the export to go a specific directory path in User > Documents.

Finally, the script deletes the original folder of clips.

If you are interested and would like further details, please email with your contact information and the rate and estimated time that you’ll need to complete the job.

Cheers!

Duncan :smiley:

Would you mind specifying what format you want to export to?

You can also tell QuickTime Player to use a file containing the export settings, if you’d rather do that.

Sure - sorry about that.

The originals will be H.264 to be exported to the DV codec.

Try this:

property exportFolder : (path to documents folder as Unicode text) & "Your Folder:"

on run
	choose folder with prompt "Change video files from these folders:" with multiple selections allowed
	open (result)
end run

on open droppedItems
	tell application "QuickTime Player"
		activate
		close every window
	end tell

repeat with thisItem in droppedItems
		if (folder of (info for thisItem without size)) is true then
			list folder thisItem without invisibles

repeat with thisFile in (result)
					open ((thisItem as Unicode text) & thisFile)

if (can export (front movie) as DV stream) is true then
						try
							export front movie to (exportFolder & thisFile & ".dv") as DV stream
						on error errorMsg number errorNum
							display dialog "Error (" & errorNum & "):" & return & return & errorMsg buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
						end try
					else
						display dialog "QuickTime Player can't export "" & (thisFile as Unicode text) & "" as DV stream." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
					end if

close front movie
				end tell
			end repeat

try
				tell application "Finder" to delete thisItem
				display dialog "Error (" & errorNum & "):" & return & return & errorMsg buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
			end try
		end if
	end repeat

quit application "QuickTime Player"
end open

Wow! Thanks, Bruce! I’ll check this out and let you know how it works!!!

Cheers, Duncan

Bruce,

I too found the above-noted script quite handy. But I’d like to add one thing. I gave it a try and QT gave me an error “(8)”. What I’d like to add is 2 additional prompts: I’d like to be asked to set an “Export to:” destination. And I’d like to be asked to select the particular quicktime export settings file too.

Hope you can help me…I’ll attach my current script:

on run
	choose file with prompt "Select the file(s) to export:" with multiple selections allowed without invisibles
	open result
end run

on open droppedItems
		activate
		close every window
	end tell

set saveLocation to (choose folder with prompt "Select destination for exported files:")

set exportSetting to (choose file with prompt "Select the QT export settings file:")

repeat with thisItem in droppedItems
		set thisName to name of (info for thisItem without size)

open thisItem

if (can export front movie as QuickTime movie) then
				try
					export front movie to (saveLocation & thisName) as QuickTime movie ¬
						using settings file alias (exportSetting)
				end try
			else
				display dialog "QuickTime Player can't export "" & (thisFile as Unicode text) & "" as H.264." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
			end if

close front movie
		end tell
	end repeat

end open

I’m checking it out. Do you always want to export to a QuickTime movie?

Edit: Try something like this:

-- Try to save some default folders, so you don't jump back and forth for videos and settings file.
property chooseFileFolder : ""
property settingsFolder : ""

on run
	checkAlias(chooseFileFolder)
	choose file with prompt "Select the file(s) to export:" default location result with multiple selections allowed without invisibles
	set chosenFiles to result

set chooseFileFolder to parentFolder(first item of chosenFiles)
	open chosenFiles
end run

on open theseItems
	choose folder with prompt "Choose destination for exported file(s):"
	set exportFolder to result as Unicode text

checkAlias(settingsFolder)
	choose file with prompt "Choose the QuickTime export settings file:" default location result
	set exportSettingsFile to result
	set settingsFolder to parentFolder(exportSettingsFile)

try
			activate
			close every window
		end tell
	end try

repeat with thisItem in theseItems
		-- Use the original name for the exported file
		set {name:thisName, folder:isFolder} to (info for thisItem without size)

-- Skip any folders that were dropped
		if not (isFolder) then
			-- Remove extension from original name, if any
			set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"."}
			try
				set thisName to text 1 thru text item -2 of thisName
			end try
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID

try
					open thisItem

if (can export front movie as QuickTime movie) then
						-- If the AppleScript takes too long (more than a minute) on a certain command, it will throw a timeout error.
						--  Use a `timeout` block when something might take longer to finish.
						with timeout of 86400 seconds -- 24 hours
							export front movie to (exportFolder & thisName) as QuickTime movie using settings exportSettingsFile
						end timeout
					else
						display dialog "QuickTime Player can't export "" & thisName & "" as a QuickTime movie." buttons {"Skip File"} default button 1 with icon caution
					end if
				on error errMsg number errNum
					if errNum is -2019 then set errMsg to "The export was canceled in QuickTime Player."

display dialog "Error " & errNum & return & return & errMsg buttons {"Cancel Script", "Skip File"} default button 2
					if (button returned of result) is "Cancel Script" then error number -128
				end try

try
					close front movie saving no
				end try
			end tell
		end if
	end repeat

tell me to display dialog "Export script finished!" buttons {"View Export Folder", "OK"} default button 2 with icon note

if (button returned of result) is "View Export Folder" then tell application "Finder" to open exportFolder
end open

on checkAlias(someItem)
	try
		return someItem as alias
	on error
		return path to home folder
	end try
end checkAlias

on parentFolder(someItem)
	set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {":"}
	try
		set someFolder to (text 1 thru text item -2 of (someItem as Unicode text)) & ":"
	on error
		set someFolder to ""
	end try
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
	return someFolder
end parentFolder

Bruce,
Thanks for the response. And to answer your intitial question, yes, in this circumstance I am always going to want to export to .mov.

I ran the script but it hang up and said, “The variable result is not defined.” then pointed me to this section of script:

repeat with thisItem in theseItems
		-- Use the original name for the exported file
		set {name:thisName, folder:result} to (info for thisItem without size)

what do you think?
thanks for the help thus far, KB

I think I need to dig up a QuickTime settings file and try it myself! :rolleyes:

I fixed a few problems and made a few changes; See the edited version above.

Bruce,
Thanks so much. I ran the script posted above and it seemed to worked fine for me. I ran it on a singular file - not a multiple selection. But it worked great. Thanks for your time & energy on this.
All the best, Kevin

Hi Bruce,

I grabbed the script you had posted (which works great), but I’m new to Applescript, so please bear with me:

• I entered a path for the settings, but it still prompted me for the path. Here is what I had entered: (H264 is the settings file I had exported from QT)
    property settingsFolder : “/Users/john/Documents/H264”

• How do I make this script become a droplet, so all I need to do is drop a quicktime file onto it, have it read the path to the settings, and save the file to the same location with the same name but with a _H264 added to the name?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks;
John

Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.12
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Hi,

AppleScript expects HFS paths (colon separated)

property settingsFolder : "Mac HD:Users:john:Documents:H264:"

Thank you! :slight_smile: That was very helpful. Managed to figure out the rest of my questions, except for this:

In the script, the name of the exported file is the same as the original name. How do I add an extension, like _H264 to it? Looking at the code, this is how the name is set:

set {name:thisName, folder:isFolder} to (info for thisItem without size)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks;
John

The file is specified as part of the export command. Try replacing the beginning of that with something like this:

export front movie to (exportFolder & thisName & "_H264")

Thanks Bruce. Appreciate the help.

I modified the script. It’s now adding it after the .mov extension, so the file is now called .mov_H264, instead of _H264.mov

Also, the script complains if the exported filename already exists in that location. Is there a way to override that, and just have it always write over an existing file?

Thanks;
J.

Hi,

I’m pretty new to this. I’ve tried using this script with a couple of modifications only to be stopped dead in my tracks. I’ve trying to modify this to process thousands of sd2 files in descriptive folders to Wav (Quicktime’s default settings are fine) to the same directory that the original file is from. When I first got it to run using a modified version at the top of this page, I got it to work fine until it encountered a directory with any subfolders.

I then decided to modify it some more and pair it with automator with these actions:
–>Get Selected Finder Items
–>Get Folder Contents (with Repeat for each subfolder found checked
–>Open Finder Items (Opens with the applescript droplet that I’m including below)

on run
	choose file with prompt "Change audio files from these folders:" with multiple selections allowed
	open (result)

end run

on open droppedItems
		activate
		close every window
	end tell

repeat with thisFile in droppedItems
		tell application "Finder"
			get folder of (thisFile) as Unicode text
			set workingDir to POSIX path of result

end tell
			open (thisFile)
			if (can export (front document) as wave) is true then
				try
					export front document to (workingDir & thisFile & ".wav") as wave
				end try
			else
				display dialog "QuickTime Player can't export "" & (thisFile as Unicode text) & "" as Wave." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
			end if

close front document

end tell
	end repeat

end open

The problem that I’m having now is that it justs opens up the first file and just hangs there. I have to do a force quit on Quicktime.

I could be making this way harder than it needs to be. Any help will be very appreciated. This is my first real time with applescript.

Best,
Jeremy

Model: iMac Intel 2.4 Ghz
AppleScript: 2.0.1
Browser: Safari 525.27.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)

While I can’t help with the last question - I do have one of my own.

I’m trying to convert to iPhone format and have setup a settings file as well as used the format explicitly in the script as follows:

export front document to (exportFolder & thisName & “.mv4”) using most recent settings

and

export front document to (exportFolder & thisName & “.mv4”) as iPhone

and

export front document to (exportFolder & thisName & “.mv4”) as MPEG4

However, the exported file always results in a Quicktime file in a DV format. I convert a file with iPhone settings manually before trying the first statement. The second and third statements are valid formats in the Dictionary for the Quicktime player.

Any idea why this is not “sticking”?

Thanks,

Sean

I just tried ‘as iTunes’ for the export setting and the videos plays on the iPod Touch. Even seems to work on systems that don’t have Quicktime Pro enabled.