AppleScript Error -1708

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you can help me, as I don’t know very much about AppleScript/AppleScript Studio and I am stuck :frowning:

I’ve written an AppleScript Studio application that adds printers to the Macs at the university where I work. Basically the user selects where they are, from a drop-down list and clicks the Go button and it adds the printers for them. Its been working fine, but I wanted to add a couple more printers to one of the areas. Originally the app had been developed under OS X 10.4, I’m now running Leopard, I recompiled the application under Leopard and it worked correctly. Anyway I added the additional printers and now when I run my application I get an AppleScript Error -1708 message. The application still runs correctly once I have dismissed the error message, but after awhile the error message appears again. I tried removing the additional code I added, but the -1708 error still appears.

I looked up the -1708 error code and it says “Event wasn’t handled by an Apple event handler” which I don’t understand.

I would be very grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Mini Mossman

I don’t have Leopard myself, but the error message leads me to believe that your nib is calling a handler that you haven’t written code for or that you’ve deleted your code for. Like if somewhere in your nib a window has an “on opened” handler, but there aren’t any applescripts that have the same handler in it. This fits the bill in that it wouldn’t disrupt any actual code, since it’s just a reminder that you haven’t put in code for something.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am off work until Wednesday, so I will try your suggestion as soon as I return. :slight_smile:

Mini Mossman

You were spot on with your suggestion Experienced Noob.

When I looked at the nib for my application the idle event handler was ticked - there was no corresponding code for this event. When I removed the tick the error message went away.

Thank you very much for your help.

MM