"The document could not be saved"

The PPC OSAXen won’t run under Rosetta? Or is it more of a matter of Snow Leopard seeming to “enforce” 64-bit more strongly than Leopard did?

It depends: There are some Carbon scripting additions which don’t work on Intel machines at all even with Rosetta.
But in most cases it’s a 32/64 bit issue

I found it! What was preventing me from saving applets out of AppleScript Editor wasn’t any of my OSAXen, after all. Rather, it was something unusual and obscure I was doing: I’ve had reason to mount my operating system’s “TMPDIR environmental variable” directory as a RAM disk in order to unburden my SSD drive from excessive thrashing inflicted by one of my applications that uses that directory for scratch disk writes. In my case, I had mounted as a RAM disk this folder:

/private/var/folders/WA/WA1FKS50GPyuWWLI++IggE+++TM/-Tmp-/

I only thought of that candidate for my problem because I had one other app last year that didn’t like having the rug pulled out from under it when that hard disk directory was changed into a mounted RAM disk, so I had to be careful not to launch that app until after I mounted that temp folder as a RAM disk.

Anyway, I can definitely confirm that I can now save edited applets out of AppleScript Editor without incident every time, as long as I unmount my RAM disk ” converting it back into a regular folder on my SSD or hard disk ” before launching AppleScript Editor. It’s funny, this wasn’t a problem with Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard ” it only started when I upgraded to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard this week.

My messing with my system like this is so obscure that I kind of regret burdening you folks with something that you’ll probably never encounter, so sorry if I’ve wasted your time.

memo: You can find your own Mac OS X TMPDIR environmental variable directory by entering into Terminal:

getconf DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

AppleScript: 2.1.2
Browser: Firefox 27.0
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

Don’t worry

At least, I learnt something.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 22 mars 2014 10:27:37