POSIX path to HFS path

I need to convert a list containing POSIX paths into a list of HFS paths. Is there an Applescript command to do this?

I know there is a command to go the other way. And the “POSIX path of” command seems to leave off the device name (i.e., “Macintosh HD”), simply doing a search-and-replace of : for / or vice-versa, as needed. But I need the whole path.

Is there such a command?

Thank you,

-Joe

set x to (path to desktop folder) as string

set posixPath to POSIX path of x

set ascriptPath to POSIX file posixPath

Thank you, Chris!

Pass the POSIX path string to a ‘POSIX file’ specifier to get a file URL value, then coerce that to Unicode text:

set lst to {"/", "/usr/bin", "/Applications/TextEdit.app"}
repeat with pathRef in lst
	set pathRef's contents to (POSIX file pathRef) as Unicode text
end repeat
lst --> {"Mac HD:", "Mac HD:usr:bin", "Mac HD:Applications:TextEdit.app"}

If you want a list of file URL values, delete the ‘as Unicode text’. If you want a list of alias values (assuming all paths exist), replace it with ‘as alias’.

‘POSIX path’ is a property of AppleScript’s alias, file URL and file specification types that returns the equivalent POSIX path . It also kinda works on strings, though it shouldn’t really and is liable to produce garbage for those (it certainly won’t turn a POSIX path string into anything good, as you’ve found).

Ah, that makes sense now. Thank you (and thank you for the great conversion routine)!

-Joe

Your script works just fine in AppleScript, but when I try to use it in an XCode droplet, it just fails, giving me error -1700 (and when I’m trying to modify something it goes to -1728)…

Is there a way to solve that?

on application_openFiles_(sender, fileList)
		awakeFromNib()
		-- Droplet Function (drag any file or folders on the Application's Icon to launch it

repeat with i from 1 to (the count (fileList as list))

try
				set item i of fileList to (POSIX file (item i of fileList)) as alias
			on error number errnum
				display dialog errnum -- RETURNS -1700 error
			end try
		end repeat

Looking inside the Forums I found the answer, thanks to Shane…

http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?pid=120700

Now the code is working properly.

on application_openFiles_(sender, fileList)
		awakeFromNib()
		repeat with i from 1 to (the count (fileList as list))
			try
				set item i of fileList to (((item i of fileList as text) as POSIX file) as alias)

on error number errnum
				display dialog errnum
			end try
		end repeat
end application_openFiles_