Bounds of box in Quark

I am trying to work with the bounds of my picture but there are in type I don’t recognize. I want them as real.

Can someone help me ?

set NewBox to make new graphic box at beginning with properties {bounds:({110, 0, 220, 46}), contents:none, color:null, frame:{color:"noir", style:solid, width:"1 pt"}, runaround:none runaround}

set box shape of NewBox to polygonal
set c to height of bounds of NewBox
set d to width of bounds of NewBox
set a to top of bounds of NewBox
set b to left of bounds of NewBox

return {a, b, c, d}
--results: {«data FXVM0137CF7A», «data FXHM00000000», «data FXVM0137CF7A», «data FXHM008264BA»}

I dont have Quark at home to test, and without the whole script with tell statements I can’t acuratly evaluate what is going on. My guess is that your return is outside of the Quark tell statement. Since the values returned from Quark for the bounds are Quark measurements the return doesnt know how to deal with the value set from Quark. You need to add “as real” to the end of your set statements for the variables a b c and d this way Quark will coerce the values into real numbers which can be used outside of the Quark tell block.

try something like this:

--Get bounds of  box
						set obnds to bounds as list
						set boxtp to (coerce item 1 of obnds as millimeter units to real)
						set boxlft to (coerce item 2 of obnds as millimeter units to real)
						set boxbot to (coerce item 3 of obnds as millimeter units to real)
						set boxri to (coerce item 4 of obnds as millimeter units to real)

kjeld

I am writing a script to change the width of any text box that is more than 15p wide to 42p. I have almost everything I need working, except setting the width to a variable that is readable.

set FileSample to choose folder
set folderName to name of (info for FileSample)
tell application "Finder" to set theFiles to files of folder FileSample whose name extension is in {"qxd"} or kind contains "QuarkXPress" or file type is in {"XPRJ", "XPR3"} or creator type is in {"XPRJ", "XPR3"}
repeat with oneFile in theFiles
	tell application "QuarkXPress"
		activate
		open (oneFile as alias) do auto picture import no use doc prefs yes remap fonts no
		tell front document
			set page rule origin to {"0", "0"}
			set horizontal measure to picas
			set vertical measure to picas
			repeat with i from (count of group boxes) to 1
				try
					tell group box i
						set grouped to false
					end tell
				end try
			end repeat
			repeat with i from 1 to count of text boxes
				set boxWidth to ((get width of bounds of text box i) as real) as string --Errors here
				if boxWidth is less than 15 then
					tell text box i
						(select)
						set width of bounds to {42}
					end tell
				end if
			end repeat
		end tell
		close saving yes
	end tell
end repeat

The problem is I get this error:

Model: Dual 2.3GHz G5
AppleScript: 2.1.1/Script Debugger4
Browser: Firefox 3.0
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)

Did you ever solve this problem? I’m experiencing it with a project upgrading from Quark 7 to Quark 9. Suddenly the data coming from bounds won’t convert into real.

tell application “QuarkXpress”
return bottom of the bounds of text box 1 of document 1 as real
end
– result = can’t make «data FXVM00002400» into type real

Did you loaded the QXPScriptingAddition? Seems like the scripting addition that is needed for Quark isn’t loaded properly.

Does this need to be done explicitly by the script? Is that a change in QXP 9? The app has a scripting dictionary, which past experience tells me means it has it’s stuff installed correctly. Perhaps not…?

Normally it is installed but it can be the wrong version. It coerces the data objects from Quark into AppleScript objects. The file can be found in the ‘/Library/Scripting Additions’ folder. Without the addition installed you will get those weird errors.

It is installed but it says QXPScriptingAdditions 7.0. Should that be 9.0 to match the app version or not?

I’m not sure of this is parralel versioning …

But you may try to run ASE in 32-Bit-Mode. I don’t have quark installed at the moment, but have something like this in mind … perhaps it’ll help.

No help with 32 bit mode…

I also note that on a 10.5 running Quark 7, the scripting addition version is 7. I don’t know if that means the 9.0 machine has the wrong version or they haven’t changed it…? Anyone know this?

tell application "QuarkXPress"
	tell document 1
		tell page 1
			tell text box 1
				return top of bounds as point units as real -- From Quark sample script!
				-- error "Can't make «data FXVM00005400» into type point units." number -1700 from «data FXVM00005400» to «class FXPT»
				return top of bounds as real
				-- error "Can't make «data FXVM00005400» into type real." number -1700 from «data FXVM00005400» to real
				return top of bounds as number
				-- error "Can't make «data FXVM00005400» into type number." number -1700 from «data FXVM00005400» to number
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Funny this thread should light up again, since I’ve been having the issue again. I actually removed the QXPScriptingAdditions.osax from the Library/ScriptingAdditions folder. I’m using Quark 8, but simply disabling it resolved this issue for me, though the ScriptingAddition was 7.0. The script compiles and runs without issue now. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Model: MBP
AppleScript: 2.3
Browser: Firefox 12.0
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)

I just tried removing it and testing and the problem still exists… I also restarted the computer. Same error… :frowning: