Scrape Kindle annotations and send to OmniOutliner or OPML

Hi everyone,

Here’s my first attempt at a useful AppleScript. (Useful for me anyway.) If you use a Kindle you can log in at http://kindle.amazon.com/ with your Amazon login and see all of notes you’ve created and passages you’ve highlighted while reading with your Kindle or the Kindle application on a computer, iPhone, iPad, etc.

The script works by parsing the HTML source from the web page that displays the annotations for an individual book. If you have OmniOutliner Professional it will create a new document and add the annotations. If you don’t, it will write the annotations to an OPML file for importing into any other outlining app. If you have you the non-Pro version of OmniOutliner, you’ll have to change the “tell” in the MakeOmniDocument subroutine.

This script requires the Satimage Scripting Addition to do some regular expressions. You can download that here: http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/downloads/downloads_companion_osaxen.html

I’d be happy to get feedback. The HTML parsing, in particular, is a bit kludgy, but it works. I hope someone else finds it useful.

-Tim

-- NoteScraper v.0.5 by Tim Wilson <wilson@visi.com>
-- Applescript to convert the HTML output from Amazon's Kindle web page to an OmniOutliner Pro file
-- or generic OPML XML file.

global outlinerApp
global bookTitle

-- Check to see if OmniOutliner is installed. Default to OPML output if it's not.
set outlinerApp to ""
tell application "Finder"
	try
		exists application file id "com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner3"
		set outlinerApp to "com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner3" -- OmniOutliner
	on error
		false
		try
			exists application file id "com.omnigroup.OmniOutlinerPro3"
			set outlinerApp to "com.omnigroup.OmniOutlinerPro3" -- OmniOutliner Professional
		on error
			false
		end try
	end try
end tell
--set outlinerApp to "" -- Uncomment to test OPML output

BuildOutline()

on BuildOutline()
	-- Load the HTML source from Safari's current web page containing the summary of your 
	-- Kindle notes from kindle.amazon.com.
	tell application "Safari"
		if name of document 1 starts with "Amazon Kindle:" and name of document 1 is not "Amazon Kindle: Daily Refresh" then
			set kindleHTML to the source of document 1
		else
			display alert "Invalid Kindle page" message "Make sure your Kindle notes and highlights are on the front Safari page." buttons {"OK"} default button "OK" as warning
			return
		end if
	end tell

-- Parse the Kindle page
	set theItems to my ParseKindlePage(kindleHTML)

-- Sort the parsing result by Kindle book location
	set theItems to my SortItems(theItems)

-- Construct an OmniOutliner document or OPML file with the results
	if outlinerApp is "com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner3" or outlinerApp is "com.omnigroup.OmniOutlinerPro3" then
		my MakeOmniDocument(theItems)
	else
		my MakeOPML(theItems)
	end if
end BuildOutline

on ParseKindlePage(kindleHTML)
	(*
	Parse the source from the Kindle web page to pull out the notes and highlights and return
	a library of records that contains the Kindle locations, location URLs, as well as the contents
	of the notes and highlights themselves.
	*)

-- First grab the book title and author info
	tell application "Safari"
		set bookTitle to the name of window 1
		set bookTitle to characters 16 through -1 of bookTitle as string
		if bookTitle contains ":" then
			set bookTitle to text 1 through ((offset of ":" in bookTitle) - 1) of bookTitle
		end if
	end tell

-- Retrieve all of the Kindle highlights and notes on the page
	set theNotes to getHTMLElement(kindleHTML, "<div class='highlightRow noteOnly'>", "</div>", true)
	set theHighlights to getHTMLElement(kindleHTML, "<div class=\"highlightRow personalHighlight\">", "</div>
  </div>", true)
	set theHTMLSnippets to theHighlights & theNotes --combine them into one list

-- Set up a list to hold the records for each note and highlight
	set theItems to {}

-- Step through the snippets and look for the actual text, etc.
	repeat with snippet in theHTMLSnippets

-- Check to see if the snippet matches one in theNotes
		if snippet is in theNotes then
			set annotationType to "note"
			set theURL to find text "kindle:(.*)location=[0-9]*" in snippet with regexp and string result
			set location to (find text "[0-9]*$" in theURL with regexp and string result) as integer
			set context to getHTMLElement(snippet, "<span class=\"context\">", "</span>", true) as string
			set content to getHTMLElement(snippet, "<span class=\"noteContent\">", "</span>", true) as string
			set noteRecord to {annotationType:annotationType, location:location, theURL:theURL, content:content, context:context}
			set end of theItems to noteRecord
		else -- It must be a highlight if it's not a note
			set annotationType to "highlight"
			set theURL to find text "kindle:(.*)location=[0-9]*" in snippet with regexp and string result
			set location to (find text "[0-9]*$" in theURL with regexp and string result) as integer
			set content to getHTMLElement(snippet, "<span class=\"highlight\">", "</span>", true) as string
			set highlightNote to getHTMLElement(snippet, "<span class=\"noteContent\">", "</span>", true) as string
			if highlightNote is "><" then set highlightNote to "" -- work around a quirky parsing problem
			set highlightRecord to {annotationType:annotationType, location:location, theURL:theURL, content:content, highlightNote:highlightNote}
			set end of theItems to highlightRecord
		end if
	end repeat
	return theItems
end ParseKindlePage

on SortItems(theItems)
	-- Sort the items so they are in order of location in the Kindle book
	repeat with i from 1 to (count of theItems) - 1
		repeat with j from i + 1 to count of theItems
			if location of item j of theItems < location of item i of theItems then
				set temp to item i of theItems
				set item i of theItems to item j of theItems
				set item j of theItems to temp
			end if
			log theItems
		end repeat
	end repeat

return theItems
end SortItems

on MakeOPML(theItems)
	-- Generate an OPML file from notes and highlights
	set opmlHead to "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?>
<opml version=\"1.0\">
  <head>
    <title></title>
    <expansionState></expansionState>
  </head>
  <body>" & return
	set opmlFooter to "  </body>" & return & "</opml>"
	set opml to opmlHead
	repeat with theItem in theItems
		-- Check each item to determin if it's a highlight or a note.
		-- Insert quotes around the highlights (and check for an accompanying note) or simply insert the note
		-- as a reader annotation.
		if annotationType of theItem is "note" then
			set opml to opml & "    <outline text=\"" & (content of theItem) & " (" & (location of theItem) & ")\"/>" & return
		else -- Tt must be a highlight (reader annotation) then
			if (highlightNote of theItem) is not "" then -- There's an accompanying note
				set opml to opml & "    <outline text=\""" & (content of theItem) & "" Note: " & (highlightNote of theItem) & " (" & (location of theItem) & ")\"/>" & return
			else
				set opml to opml & "    <outline text=\""" & (content of theItem) & """ & " (" & (location of theItem) & ")\"/>" & return
			end if
		end if
	end repeat
	set opml to opml & opmlFooter

set fileHandle to choose file name with prompt ("Choose a file name: ") default name bookTitle & ".opml"
	open for access fileHandle with write permission
	set eof fileHandle to 0
	write opml to fileHandle as «class utf8»
	close access fileHandle

end MakeOPML

on MakeOmniDocument(theItems)
	-- Open OmniOutliner and create a new document for the notes and highlights
	-- set the "tell" block below to "OmniOutliner Professional" or "OmniOutliner"
	-- depending on which version you have installed.
	-- Still looking for a good way to make this work more smoothly.
	tell application "OmniOutliner Professional"
		set newDoc to make new document at beginning of documents
		tell newDoc -- set up some defaults for the new document
			set status visible to false -- hide checkboxes
		end tell

repeat with theItem in theItems
			set newRow to make new row at the end of children of newDoc

-- Build a string to place in the new row
			if annotationType of theItem is "note" then
				set topic of newRow to (content of theItem) & " (" & (location of theItem) & ")"
			else
				set topic of newRow to "\"" & (content of theItem) & "\" (" & (location of theItem) & ")"
				if (highlightNote of theItem) is not "" then -- There's a note accompanying the highlight
					set note of newRow to (highlightNote of theItem)
					tell newRow
						set note expanded to true
					end tell
				end if
			end if

end repeat
	end tell
end MakeOmniDocument

to getHTMLElement(someText, openTag, closeTag, contentsOnly)
	-- Source for this function from http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11182225
	(*
	return a list of the specified HTML element in someText
		parameters -		someText [mixed]: the text to look at
						openTag [text]: the opening tag (the ending ">" will be searched for if the tag is incomplete)
						closeTag [text]: the closing tag (the tag should be complete when returning the element)
                            		contentsOnly [boolean]: true returns just the contents, false returns the entire element
		returns [list]:		a list of the HTML elements found - {} if none
	*)
	set someText to someText as text
	set currentOffset to 0 -- the current offset in the text buffer
	set elementList to {} -- the list of elements found
	try
		repeat while currentOffset is less than (count someText)
			set currentOffset to currentOffset + 1

set here to offset of openTag in (text currentOffset thru -1 of someText) -- start of opening tag
			if here is 0 then exit repeat -- not found
			set currentOffset to currentOffset + here
			set currentTag to currentOffset - 1 -- mark the start of the element
			if openTag does not end with ">" then -- find the close of the tag
				set here to offset of ">" in (text (currentOffset - 1) thru -1 of someText) -- end of opening tag
				if here is 0 then exit repeat -- not found
				set currentOffset to currentOffset + here - 1
			else
				set currentOffset to currentOffset + (count openTag) - 1
			end if
			set here to currentOffset

set there to offset of closeTag in (text currentOffset thru -1 of someText) -- end tag
			if there is 0 then exit repeat -- not found
			set currentOffset to currentOffset + there + (count closeTag) - 2
			set there to currentOffset

if contentsOnly then -- add the element contents
				set the end of elementList to text here thru (there - (count closeTag)) of someText
			else -- add the complete element (tags and contents)
				set the end of elementList to text currentTag thru there of someText
			end if

end repeat
	on error errorMessage number errorNumber
		if (errorNumber is -128) or (errorNumber is -1711) then -- nothing (user cancelled)
		else
			activate me
			display alert "Error " & (errorNumber as string) message errorMessage as warning buttons {"OK"} default button "OK"
		end if
	end try
	return elementList
end getHTMLElement

Model: 15" MacBook Pro
AppleScript: 2.1.2
Browser: Safari 533.16
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

For some reason, when I try this script, OmniOutliner pops up with a blank document. It does not seem to work for me.

Are you sure that you have the required Scripting Addition installed?

-Tim

Yes, I have Satimage Scripting Addition. I am not sure what else I need to do.
Thanks

timwilson,

Thanks for sharing this fantastic looking script which I would love to get working. I too was not able to get it working despite having the scripting additions added. After poking about in your script and seeing what

material you were looking for I realize we were thinking of different pages:

Perhaps the other user made the same mistake I did? The script does NOT work with the home “yourhighlights” page with all clippings from all your books.

It does work very nicely, however, if you open the highlights from any single book - including “all highlights” that includes popular highlights that others have made.

This is wonderful. I especially like being able to have the output in OPML which imports very nicely into DEVONthink as well. I am thinking of putting your script together, minus its OmniOutliner aspect together with post-processing commands to automate the creation of the content on the DEVONthink side.

Again many thanks for sharing your wonderful script.

Konrad

Yes, thanks so much. Works perfectly now
Wade

I am wondering if it would be possible to amend this script to work with DEVONthink, creating a separate RFT file for each highlight, and using the note as the title for the highlight (of course with text delimiters, the note could be used for various uses: titles, tags, etc.)

Thanks

Nick

I haven’t included DevonThink support yet, but a number of people have requested it. I’m going to look into it soon.