Remove Empty Directory Folders from Directory Folder Structure

Hi all,

I need an AppleScript. The script’s function is to remove (delete) ALL empty Directory Folders in a Directory Folder Structure. If there is a file in any folder - the file and the enclosing folder must NOT be deleted. I define an empty folder as one that does not have Files OR Folders inside of it.

The script should allow a User to navigate using the Finder to the directory where the script will operates on.

If anyone could help - that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Well, this is a way old post and I see you didn’t get any replies. I need the same thing now too.

Here is what I use quite often :

(*

delete empty folders

2018-12-01

*)
----------------------------------------------------------------
use AppleScript version "2.4"
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions
----------------------------------------------------------------
script o
	-- store the list of folders here so it will not be written on disk
	property theFolders : {}
end script

Germaine()

#=====

on Germaine()
	-- Define the folder to clean
	set targetDir to choose folder

my removeEmptyFolders:targetDir

end Germaine

#=====

on removeEmptyFolders:targetDir

set POSIXPath to POSIX path of targetDir

set theFolderURL to current application's NSURL's fileURLWithPath:POSIXPath

set NSFileManager to a reference to current application's NSFileManager's defaultManager()

-- extract the list of items stored in the folder skipping the invisibles
	set theURLs to (NSFileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolderURL includingPropertiesForKeys:{} options:4 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
	if theURLs is equal to missing value then error (theError's localizedDescription() as text)

set o's theFolders to {}
	repeat with aURL in theURLs
		set {theResult, theValue, theError} to (aURL's getResourceValue:(reference) forKey:(current application's NSURLIsDirectoryKey) |error|:(reference))
		if theResult as boolean is false then error (theError's |localizedDescription|() as text) number (theError's code() as integer)
		# build a list of URLs describing folders
		if theValue as boolean then copy aURL to end of o's theFolders
	end repeat

set (o's theFolders) to reverse of (o's theFolders)

repeat with aURL in o's theFolders
		-- aURL point to a folder
		-- extract the list of items stored in this folder skipping the invisibles
		set theURLs to (NSFileManager's enumeratorAtURL:aURL includingPropertiesForKeys:{} options:4 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
		if (count theURLs) = 0 then
			-- the folder is empty, delete it
			set theResult to (NSFileManager's removeItemAtURL:aURL |error|:(missing value))
		end if
	end repeat
end removeEmptyFolders:

#=====

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 6 janvier 2020 13:37:26

It’s to remove empty subfolders in Mail’s folder which I use the posted script.

Yvan KOENIG running High Sierra 10.13.6 in French (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 6 janvier 2020 17:39:17