iCal setting two alarms

One feature I have been using on my iPhone is to have an alarm go off one day before an event, and also one hour before the event (“Alert = 1 day before”, “Second alert = 1 hour before”). I can also add more than one alert for an event in iCal.

I have an Applescript that I wrote nearly 10 years ago that sets one alarm:

tell this_event
            make new sound alarm at end of sound alarms with properties {trigger interval:trigger, sound name:"2-beeps"}
       end tell

where “trigger” is the number of minutes before the event when I want the alarm to sound.

How do I make it set the TWO alerts? Do I simply repeat the first line, with a different value for “trigger”?

Thanks in advance.

Model: MacBook late 2008
AppleScript: 2.2.1
Browser: Safari 536.26.14
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.7)

Hi. Yes, it does involve a repeat loop, as there are multiple alarms per event.

tell application "iCal" to repeat with counter in {{"sosumi", -15}, {"beep", -5}}
	tell calendar "Home"'s event 1 to make sound alarm with properties {sound name:counter's item 1, trigger interval:counter's item 2} at end
end repeat

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t really follow your code. Would this work? (with triggerA the number of minutes before the first alert, and triggerB the number of minutes before the second alert?

tell this_event
make new sound alarm at end of sound alarms with properties {trigger interval:triggerA, sound name:"2-beeps"}
make new sound alarm at end of sound alarms with properties {trigger interval:triggerB, sound name:"2-beeps"}
end tell

That’s equivalent to my example, however, “2-beeps” isn’t a standard System sound. I also see no need to variabilize your intervals, unless they get called more than once. The interval is an integer; its positive is in minutes after the event, and the negative is before it.

make new sound alarm at end of sound alarms with properties {trigger interval:-15, sound name:"sosumi"}
make new sound alarm at end of sound alarms with properties {trigger interval:-5, sound name:"frog"}

–edited for typo

I love reading Marc’s code. It makes me feel like I know nothing about AppleScript. Where did you learn to write like that !?!?

Thanks. I learned the basics from (the now very outdated) “Tao of Applescript” and then just started tinkering around. For fan club information, please contact Nigel Garvey. :wink:

Hmmm. Pity about the typo in post #4. :wink: